Load strength of schedule 40 1 1/2 in pipe

In summary, the conversation revolves around the creation of a lever using PVC sections to lift a 14ft 85lb kayak up 7ft and then slide it onto a truck. The lever would consist of an "L" shape with a rectangular brace and "T" attachments for stability and a handle. The PVC's strength and failure analysis are also discussed.
nsternberg
I am attempting to create a "lever" to lift the front of a 14ft 85lb Kayak up 7ft, then manually slide the Kayak to a rail, and then use the lever to lift the back of the kayak to another 7ft high rail on a truck. I decided to attempt this with PVC sections, creating an "L" the vertical shaft about 7ft+ and the horizontal shaft about the same. I would add a rectangular brace in the bottom corner, and a "T" at the top for the Kayak to rest on and a smaller "T" as a handle of the horizontal end. Additionally add legs to the bottom for stability. The vertical and horizontal posts would have screw joints to allow them to be split in half for storage. I am trying to get the Kayak up on a large truck by myself.I attached a crude drawing. Any thoughts on will the PVC support the weight.

Attachments

• Kayak Lever.jpg
    Kayak Lever.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 491
Engineering news on Phys.org
I doubt that you are going to find a tabulated value for the strength because pipe is not intended as a structural member (even though it can be used that way). You will need to find out the material and the physical properties of that material, then do a failure analysis.

thanks for the response, is there a formula for failure analysis, or is it a process?

Just work from first principles.

1. What is the load strength of schedule 40 1 1/2 in pipe?

The load strength of schedule 40 1 1/2 in pipe varies depending on several factors, including the material composition, temperature, and pressure. Generally, it has a maximum working pressure of 130 PSI and a burst pressure of 1750 PSI.

2. How is the load strength of schedule 40 1 1/2 in pipe determined?

The load strength of schedule 40 1 1/2 in pipe is determined through various testing methods, such as burst tests, tensile strength tests, and pressure tests. These tests help to determine the maximum load the pipe can withstand before it fails.

3. What are the different types of load that can be applied to schedule 40 1 1/2 in pipe?

The different types of load that can be applied to schedule 40 1 1/2 in pipe include internal pressure, external pressure, bending, and axial loads. These loads can come from factors such as fluid flow, weight of the pipe itself, and external forces.

4. What factors can affect the load strength of schedule 40 1 1/2 in pipe?

The load strength of schedule 40 1 1/2 in pipe can be affected by various factors, such as the material used, temperature, pressure, and any external forces acting on the pipe. The pipe's age, condition, and exposure to corrosive environments can also impact its load strength.

5. How can I ensure that my schedule 40 1 1/2 in pipe can handle the required load?

To ensure that your schedule 40 1 1/2 in pipe can handle the required load, it is important to follow manufacturer guidelines and industry standards for installation and usage. Regular inspections and maintenance can also help to identify any potential issues that may affect the pipe's load strength. If in doubt, consult a professional engineer for guidance.