Local measurement of the Vacuum Energy?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of measuring vacuum energy locally and globally, and the potential for the Archimedes project to weigh the vacuum energy through a future experiment. The project aims to measure the force of Earth's gravity on a Casimir cavity, and the conversation reflects enthusiasm and interest in this potential breakthrough.
friend
Is it possible to measure the vacuum energy locally? I wonder if it might change with gravity? I'm told that we can measure the vacuum energy globally by measuring the acceleration of the universe's expansion. But can we measure it locally? Or are all local measurements independent of the vacuum energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
This amounts to measuring the cosmological constant locally, which we can do for a broad enough definition of "locally" : )

But something that is related to that I think (or perhaps not, but I like it anyway :wink: ) : http://arxiv.org/abs/1409.6974
The Archimedes project: a feasibility study for weighing the vacuum energy
Enrico Calloni, S Caprara, Martina De Laurentis, Giampiero Esposito, M Grilli, Ettore Majorana, G P Pepe, S Petrarca, P Puppo, F Ricci, Luigi Rosa, Carlo Rovelli, P Ruggi, N L Saini, Cosimo Stornaiolo, Francesco Tafuri
(Submitted on 24 Sep 2014)
Archimedes is a feasibility study to a future experiment to ascertain the interaction of vacuum fluctuations with gravity. The future experiment should measure the force that the Earth's gravitational field exerts on a Casimir cavity by using a balance as the small force detector. The Archimedes experiment analyses the important parameters in view of the final measurement and experimentally explores solutions to the most critical problems.

Likes friend
wabbit said:
This amounts to measuring the cosmological constant locally, which we can do for a broad enough definition of "locally" : )

But something that is related to that I think (or perhaps not, but I like it anyway :wink: ) : http://arxiv.org/abs/1409.6974
The Archimedes project: a feasibility study for weighing the vacuum energy
Thank you. That seems spot on.

Oh good, I wasn't quite sure that was what you has in mind. I've got to re-read that article too, remembered coming across it a while ago and finding it quite mesmerizing, being there right at the edge of possibility for precision detection and measurement of such subtle effects.

1. What is the Vacuum Energy?

The Vacuum Energy, also known as the Zero-Point Energy, is the lowest possible energy that a quantum mechanical physical system may possess. It is the energy that remains even at absolute zero temperature and is related to the uncertainty principle of quantum mechanics.

2. How is the Vacuum Energy measured locally?

The Vacuum Energy can be measured locally by using sensitive instruments such as an interferometer or a Casimir force measurement device. These instruments can detect tiny fluctuations in the energy density of the vacuum, which can then be used to calculate the local value of the Vacuum Energy.

3. What is the significance of measuring the Vacuum Energy locally?

Measuring the Vacuum Energy locally can provide valuable insights into the fundamental properties of space and time. It can also help in understanding the behavior of matter and energy on a quantum level, as well as in the development of new theories and technologies.

4. Can the Vacuum Energy be manipulated or controlled?

At present, there is no known way to manipulate or control the Vacuum Energy. It is a fundamental property of the universe and is considered to be a constant value. However, some theories suggest the possibility of harnessing the Vacuum Energy for advanced technologies in the future.

5. Are there any practical applications of measuring the Vacuum Energy locally?

While there are currently no practical applications, the study of the Vacuum Energy and its local measurement could potentially lead to advancements in technologies such as quantum computing and energy generation. It could also have implications in understanding the expansion of the universe and the nature of dark energy.