Location of the Asteroid Belt between Mars and Jupiter

In summary, the asteroid belt is located between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter and is thought to be the remnants of a planet. It is dispersed uniformly around its orbit and has a width of approximately 180 million km. It is mostly within the ecliptic and has a range of inclinations between 10-64 degrees. Websites such as Wikipedia and NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory provide further information and data on the asteroid belt.
Philosophaie
There is an Asteroid Belt between Mars and Jupiter. I have a few questions about it. Where does it start and end (Radius from the Sun)?
Also, the Right Ascensions and Declinations of the extents of the belt or if it is continuous around the sun?

I know that some of the larger asteroids and Ceres have elliptical orbits so humor me.

Some websites would be helpful.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The 'main' asteroid belt is mostly between the orbits of Mars and jupiter. It is thought to be the remnants of a planet that was torn apart, or was unable to form in the early solars system. For further discussion see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asteroid_belt

Does the main asteroid belt have a breath and width in RA and DEC?

It lies mostly within the ecliptic.

But how big and the location of the debris in the ecliptic. Is it like the rings of Saturn or is it a larger dispersion.

It is, in fact, dispersed pretty uniformly about its orbit.

Of course, the asteroid belt, being a swarm of independently orbiting bodies, does not have "hard" width but according to http://www.bnsc.gov.uk/4749.aspx it is approximately 180 million km in width.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the Main Belt is defined as being between 2.0 AU and 3.5 AU. Outside of that and objects fall into different categories. Nature, of course, is under no obligation to fit our preconceptions.

I answered my own question about the asteroids in the Declinaton dircection using this site:

http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/dat/ELEMENTS.NUMBR

This site shows all the major dwarf planets and asteroids. I just looked at all the inclinations,i, for a semi-major axis,a, between 2 and 3.5AU and found the largest i to be about 64deg for about the first 1000 or so averaging between 10-30deg.

Related to Location of the Asteroid Belt between Mars and Jupiter

1. What is the asteroid belt?

The asteroid belt is a region of space located between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter. It is composed of millions of small rocky objects, called asteroids, that range in size from a few feet to hundreds of miles in diameter.

2. How did the asteroid belt form?

The asteroid belt is believed to have formed during the early stages of the solar system's formation, approximately 4.6 billion years ago. It is thought that the gravitational pull of Jupiter prevented the smaller objects from merging together to form a planet, resulting in the asteroid belt we see today.

3. What is the composition of the asteroids in the belt?

The asteroids in the belt are primarily composed of rock and metal. Some may also contain water and other volatile materials, but these are usually found in only a small percentage of asteroids.

4. Are there any large objects in the asteroid belt?

While the majority of objects in the asteroid belt are small, there are some larger objects, including the dwarf planet Ceres, which is the largest object in the belt with a diameter of approximately 590 miles. However, most of the asteroids in the belt are less than 1,000 feet in size.

5. How does the asteroid belt affect the inner planets?

The asteroid belt has a significant impact on the inner planets, particularly Mars. The gravitational pull of the asteroids can alter the orbits of these planets, and collisions with asteroids can have catastrophic effects on their surfaces. However, the presence of the asteroid belt also helps to protect the inner planets from larger objects that could potentially cause even more damage.