Locations similar to CERN

• Thread starter JeremyG
  • Start date
  • Tags
    cern
In summary: I think it's worth checking out!In summary, these are some notable research institutes that are similar to CERN in terms of size, importance, or field of research.
JeremyG
Hi all! I was wondering if there are any other notable facilities, research organisations or institutes that is similar to CERN, preferably in the US or somewhere else in Europe? Of similar scale or importance, not necessarily in the field of particle physics!

Physics news on Phys.org
JeremyG said:
Hi all! I was wondering if there are any other notable facilities, research organisations or institutes that is similar to CERN, preferably in the US or somewhere else in Europe? Of similar scale or importance, not necessarily in the field of particle physics!

Look up "US National Laboratories", which include Fermilab, SLAC, etc.

Zz.

Here's a list of US DoE national laboratories.
ITER
ISS (I think it meets your criteria.)
I'm sure there are lots more! Consider research universities. And commercial labs. (Intel, Boeing, Lockheed Martin, and others.)

Edit: Ninja'd. :<

Likes JeremyG
Great suggestions there guys! A small note though, I did forget to mention that I am planning a short visit for undergraduates! We went to CERN in June 2015, and so I'm looking to organize a visit to organisations of a similar scale to CERN. And I am neither a US Citizen nor a European Citizen.

Haha, but I will look into your suggestions as well! Thanks all!

JeremyG said:
Great suggestions there guys! A small note though, I did forget to mention that I am planning a short visit for undergraduates! We went to CERN in June 2015, and so I'm looking to organize a visit to organisations of a similar scale to CERN. And I am neither a US Citizen nor a European Citizen.

Haha, but I will look into your suggestions as well! Thanks all!

You'd better plan well in advanced.

For most US National labs (Fermilab, SLAC, Argonne, Berkeley, Brookhaven, Jefferson lab, etc.), they are used to receiving non-US visitors. I've hosted high school and college student visitors from the Netherlands, Japan, etc. Unless you are a citizen from a country deemed by the US State Dept. as a "Sensitive" country, the visiting requirement isn't daunting. You will need to contact the lab's visitor office several months in advance to clear the visit.

There are other US Labs that are more restrictive (Los Alamos, Sandia, etc.) and will require a lot more work. Unless you are willing to go through months of contacts and going back and forth, I'd skip those.

BTW, just for future reference, you should make sure your first post describes the situation as clearly and completely as possible. Otherwise, you might be leaving out important pieces of information.

Zz.

Likes JeremyG
PSI in Switzerland
ILL in France
LNGS in Italy
Forschungszentrum Jülich, DESY, GSI, BESSY, KIT in Germany

Not a complete list, those are large laboratories that came to my mind. And that's just central/western Europe for particle physics and nuclear physics. They are all smaller than CERN, but picking the largest one makes it hard to find others of the same size ;).
I think most of them have guided tours in some way, without special safety requirements.

As usual, Wikipedia has a list or category (or just physics?)

Likes JeremyG

1. What is CERN and what does it do?

CERN (European Organization for Nuclear Research) is a renowned research organization located in Geneva, Switzerland. It is the world's largest particle physics laboratory and is responsible for conducting groundbreaking experiments to understand the fundamental structure of the universe.

2. Are there any other locations similar to CERN?

Yes, there are several other locations similar to CERN. Examples include Fermilab in the United States, KEK in Japan, and DESY in Germany. These organizations also conduct high-energy physics research and collaborate with CERN on various projects.

3. What are the benefits of having multiple locations for particle physics research?

Having multiple locations for particle physics research allows for greater collaboration and exchange of ideas among scientists from different countries and backgrounds. It also promotes healthy competition and drives advancements in technology and knowledge in the field.

4. How do these locations differ from each other?

Although they all focus on particle physics research, each location has its own unique strengths and areas of expertise. For example, CERN is known for its Large Hadron Collider (LHC), while Fermilab is home to the world's most powerful particle accelerator, the Tevatron.

5. Can the general public visit these locations and learn about their research?

Yes, most of these locations offer public tours and educational programs to showcase their research and discoveries. CERN, for instance, has a dedicated Visitor Centre where visitors can learn about the organization's history, ongoing experiments, and future plans.