Long rod rotating on frictionless surface

In summary, when a rod of length L is laid on a surface with no friction and acted upon by a force F off its center of mass, it will experience a torque and start to rotate around its center of mass. This is because after the force is applied and released, the object will naturally rotate around its center of mass due to the absence of external forces or moments. This is different from the initial application of force, where the object may not necessarily rotate around its center of mass.
Horvath Bela
If I take a rod of length L and lay it down on a surface with no friction and act upon it with a force F off its center of mass by let's say L/4, there will be a torque on the object and it will start to rotate around its center off mass. My question is why does the object necessarily rotate around its center of mass and not simply around some arbitrary point on its self, since I could write the torque equation for every point on the rod.

Physics news on Phys.org
Horvath Bela said:
If I take a rod of length L and lay it down on a surface with no friction and act upon it with a force F off its center of mass by let's say L/4, there will be a torque on the object and it will start to rotate around its center off mass. My question is why does the object necessarily rotate around its center of mass and not simply around some arbitrary point on its self, since I could write the torque equation for every point on the rod.
While you are applying the force, it won't necessarily rotate about its CM. After you have let go of it, it will do so. What's the difference? :smile:

1. How does a long rod rotate on a frictionless surface?

A long rod will rotate on a frictionless surface due to the principle of conservation of angular momentum. This means that the total angular momentum of the system remains constant, so any changes in the rotation of the rod must be counterbalanced by changes in the rotation of the surface.

2. What is the effect of a frictionless surface on the rotation of a long rod?

A frictionless surface allows for the rotation of a long rod to continue indefinitely without any external forces slowing it down. This is because there is no friction to create a torque that would oppose the rotation of the rod.

3. Can a long rod rotate on a frictionless surface forever?

In theory, yes. As long as there are no external forces acting on the system, the long rod will continue to rotate on a frictionless surface indefinitely due to the conservation of angular momentum.

4. How does the length of the rod affect its rotation on a frictionless surface?

The length of the rod does not have a direct effect on its rotation on a frictionless surface. However, a longer rod will have a larger moment of inertia and therefore require more torque to change its rotation compared to a shorter rod.

5. What would happen if there was friction present on the surface?

If friction is present on the surface, it would create a torque that opposes the rotation of the long rod. This would cause the rotation to slow down and eventually come to a stop, as some of the angular momentum is dissipated as heat due to the friction.