Longitude contraction / time dilatation

In summary, the observer in a spacecraft moving with four-speed U = 2 (c, u) sees Earth as a stationary object and synchronizes his clock with the observer's clock. The observer then turns to Titan, a moon of Saturn, which is 1.2 billion km away from Earth. The observer takes the same amount of time to reach Titan as seen from Earth and measures it by the same clock. Titan is seen by the observer as a point 1.2 billion km away.
pepediaz
Homework Statement
An inertial observer O ' in a spacecraft, moving with four-speed U = 2 (c, u) seen by a
Earth observer O, passes by Earth and synchronizes his clock with O's clock. This
observer turns to Titan, a moon of Saturn that is (at that time) at a distance
Δx = 1.2 billion km from Earth.
How long does that observer take to reach Titan as seen from Earth? And measured by
the same? How far is the land of Titan seen by O '?
Relevant Equations
Lorentz transformation
I get the same values for both observers, which is not nice I think.

Physics news on Phys.org
pepediaz said:
Homework Statement:: An inertial observer O ' in a spacecraft , moving with four-speed U = 2 (c, u) seen by a
Earth observer O, passes by Earth and synchronizes his clock with O's clock. This
observer turns to Titan, a moon of Saturn that is (at that time) at a distance
Δx = 1.2 billion km from Earth.
How long does that observer take to reach Titan as seen from Earth? And measured by
the same? How far is the land of Titan seen by O '?
Relevant Equations:: Lorentz transformation

I get the same values for both observers, which is not nice I think.
Yes, that doesn't sound right. Please post what you did.

Likes pepediaz
Be ϒ the Lorentz transformation:

Δx/U = Δx /(2cc-2uu) = t
Δx'/U' = ϒΔx /ϒ(2cc-2uu) = t'

Thus, t=t'

pepediaz said:
Be ϒ the Lorentz transformation:

Δx/U = Δx /(2cc-2uu) = t
Δx'/U' = ϒΔx /ϒ(2cc-2uu) = t'

Thus, t=t'

That's hard to read and difficult to understand. Can you explain what you're doing?

First, what does ##U = 2(c, u)## mean?

Likes pepediaz
I'm calculating the time for each observer. U is the four-velocity, and I have expressed it in form of invariant product (as an absolute value, but with a "-" between squared components).

For the observer inside the spaceship, I have considered that their distance and velocity is that of the inertial observer, but multiplied by the Lorentz factor, I think that's wrong, but I don't know how to do it different.

pepediaz said:
I'm calculating the time for each observer. U is the four-velocity, and I have expressed it in form of invariant product (as an absolute value, but with a "-" between squared components).

For the observer inside the spaceship, I have considered that their distance and velocity is that of the inertial observer, but multiplied by the Lorentz factor, I think that's wrong, but I don't know how to do it different.
Sorry, none of this makes much sense. Let me repeat the question you didn't answer:

PeroK said:
First, what does ##U = 2(c, u)## mean?

Likes pepediaz
U is the four-velocity, and it has a temporal component (c) and three space-coordinate components(u, as a vector).

pepediaz said:
U is the four-velocity, and it has a temporal component (c) and three space-coordinate components(u, as a vector).
What is the ##2##?

Likes pepediaz
I guess it is a coefficient, but I'm not sure.

pepediaz said:
I guess it is a coefficient, but I'm not sure.
Isn't that a problem?

What is the general form of a four-velocity? Hint: think about the gamma factor ##\gamma##.

Likes pepediaz
\mathbf {U} =\gamma (c,{\vec {u}})=(\gamma c,\gamma {\vec {u}})

So, I can obtain inertial velocity equating γ=2.

Once done this, I continue having the same problem:

t = Δx /v, but t' = Δx '/v' = γ(Δx)/γ(v)

pepediaz said:
\mathbf {U} =\gamma (c,{\vec {u}})=(\gamma c,\gamma {\vec {u}})

So, I can obtain inertial velocity equating γ=2.

Once done this, I continue having the same problem:

t = Δx /v, but t' = Δx '/v' = γ(Δx)/γ(v)

Okay, so you have ##\gamma = 2##. That gives you ##u##, if you need it. And in the Earth frame, we have ##t = \frac{\Delta x}{u}##.

In the spacecraft frame, what do we have?

Likes pepediaz
I guess t' = Δx '/v' = γ(Δx)/v

pepediaz said:
I guess t' = Δx '/v' = γ(Δx)/v
How far is Titan from Earth in the spacecraft frame?

How fast is Titan moving in the spacecraft frame?

Likes pepediaz
In the spacecraft frame, the distance would be γ(Δx) and the velocity would be v, or γ(v), this one I don't know.

pepediaz said:
In the spacecraft frame, the distance would be γ(Δx) and the velocity would be v, or γ(v), this one I don't know.

That's not correct. The distance to Titan is length contracted. And, velocities must be equal and opposite between frames. If the rocket is moving at speed ##u## in the Earth frame, then the Earth and Titan must be moving at speed ##u## in the spacecraft frame.

Likes pepediaz
I understand it now! Thanks!

The time in spacecraft frame is a half of the inertial frame time.

And another thing, be the red point this spacecraft , the purple line the world line with slope = 2 and the green point a photon thrown towards the Earth from the spacecraft , would this spacetime diagram ok? (distance would be 1.2 billion km, and the time, 1000 times of shown, but scale is badly displayed, even the red point wouldn't be at that position, but I did it like this just for showing it).

2020-05-11.png

1. What is longitude contraction?

Longitude contraction is a phenomenon in which the distance between two points along a longitudinal line appears to decrease when measured from a reference frame that is moving at a high velocity. This is a consequence of Einstein's theory of relativity.

2. How does time dilation relate to longitude contraction?

Time dilation and longitude contraction are two sides of the same coin. Time dilation refers to the slowing down of time for an object moving at high speeds, while longitude contraction refers to the apparent shortening of distances along a longitudinal line. Both are consequences of the theory of relativity and are interconnected.

3. Can longitude contraction be observed in everyday life?

Yes, longitude contraction can be observed in everyday life. For example, airplanes experience longitude contraction as they travel at high speeds, causing their flight paths to appear shorter when measured from the ground. Similarly, GPS satellites must take into account both time dilation and longitude contraction in order to provide accurate location data.

4. How does the theory of relativity explain longitude contraction?

The theory of relativity explains longitude contraction by stating that as an object moves at high speeds, its perception of time and space changes. This is due to the fact that the speed of light is constant and the laws of physics are the same for all observers. As a result, distances along a longitudinal line appear shorter to an object in motion, leading to longitude contraction.

5. Is longitude contraction a real physical phenomenon or just a mathematical concept?

Longitude contraction is a real physical phenomenon that has been observed and confirmed through numerous experiments. It is not just a mathematical concept, but a consequence of the theory of relativity which has been extensively tested and verified by scientists.