Longitudinal waves and vector potentials.

In summary: The electric field waves in an anisotropic medium have a longitudinal component. In general, the D vector D = ε0E + P is a transverse wave, E is not.
muscaria
Hello,
I was wondering if anybody knew of any material (books, papers etc..) which considers a possible connection between longitudinal waves and vector potentials, at least mathematically. I have been scouting about, but failed to find anything substantial. I understand that there seems to be no need for such a treatment in the common physical systems which display longitudinal modes - these being associated with oscillating pressure/density variations of a medium from equilibrium. In these setups, one is concerned with bare "canonical type" momenta as constituting the wave motion, vector potentials being irrelevant. Also in standard electromagnetic theory, one is concerned with transverse waves, and the fact there are no longitudinal modes is reflected (as I "understand" it anyway) in the validity of the Coulomb gauge. Although there may be no present physical setup which gives rise to longitudinal mode solutions resulting from certain vector potential field properties (I'm thinking of vector potentials generally, not strictly of the common dynamic E-M field type), I was wondering if someone had come across any form of mathematics which describes or hints at such a connection. I imagine that if such a connection were to exist, the longitudinal modes would require a non vanishing divergence of the vector potential field, which oscillates in magnitude over space and time. Just as the longitudinal modes associated with sound are scalar waves due to density variations, an oscillating ##\nabla\cdot\textbf{A}## scalar function may give rise to longitudinal modes? Again, mathematically speaking. I am investigating features of a physical system which I think may support such modes, but am unaware of the mathematics I need to look into this.
Anyway, if anybody has any information regarding a mathematical connection between longitudinal waves and vector potentials or has a feeling they may have come across something which hints at these topics - even slightly - I would really appreciate it! Any comments of any kind would also be very welcome.
Thank you very much and hope this message has reached you in good spirits.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that the Proca action describes a "massive EM" field. It has a longitudinal polarization and a four-vector potential. I am only barely aware of it, so won't be able to do much more than point you in that direction.

DaleSpam said:
I think that the Proca action describes a "massive EM" field. It has a longitudinal polarization and a four-vector potential. I am only barely aware of it, so won't be able to do much more than point you in that direction.
Thanks very much Dale, I'll look into it! Much appreciated.

The electric field waves in an anisotropic medium have a longitudinal component. In general, the D vector D = ε0E + P is a transverse wave, E is not.

1. What is a longitudinal wave?

A longitudinal wave is a type of mechanical wave that travels through a medium by causing particles in the medium to vibrate back and forth in the same direction as the wave is moving. This is in contrast to transverse waves, where the particles vibrate perpendicular to the direction of the wave.

2. How are longitudinal waves different from transverse waves?

Aside from the direction of particle movement, longitudinal waves also have a different wave motion. While transverse waves have crests and troughs, longitudinal waves have compressions and rarefactions. Additionally, transverse waves can only occur in solids and fluids, while longitudinal waves can travel through any type of medium.

3. What is a vector potential?

A vector potential is a mathematical function used in electromagnetism to describe the magnetic field generated by an electric current. It is closely related to the magnetic vector potential, which describes the magnetic field generated by a changing electric field.

4. How are vector potentials used in physics?

Vector potentials are important in many areas of physics, particularly in electromagnetism. They are used to calculate the magnetic field in situations where the electric current is not constant or is changing over time. They are also used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles with spin.

5. Can longitudinal waves produce vector potentials?

Yes, longitudinal waves can produce vector potentials. When a longitudinal wave travels through a medium, it causes particles in the medium to vibrate back and forth. These vibrations can induce an electric current, which in turn creates a magnetic field. This magnetic field can be described using vector potentials.