Looking for a (bilge) pump to suit my needs

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pump
In summary, the person is looking for a small electric pump (12v) that won't get clogged with debris. It must be able to run dry and self-prime, with 1/2" fittings. They don't need a float and are looking for something more portable in size. They will have a few feet of hose on input and output, and are considering diaphragm pumps as they are better for debris-filled water. The person has already checked hardware stores and Amazon with little success and is now looking at aquarium stores for options.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Looking for an electric pump for my bilge.

I'm having some trouble finding a smallish pump that won't foul with debris.- 12v ideally
- no reason for a float, I'll operate it with a switch
- must input by hose, not mesh/grill

- must be able to run dry and self-prime
- fittings must be large - 1/2" so it won't get clogged with debris
- low flow - I'm not trying to drain a lake here
- not one of those huge 1/2HP things, I want something more portable - like the size of a shoe

I'll have a few feet of hose on input and output, so I can put the ends where I need them.

Apparently, diaphragm pumps are better than displacement or centrifugal pumps for debris-filled water

I've looked through hardware stores and Amazon but very little joy. I'm going to start looking at aquarium stores.

Just wondered if anyone had any other suggestions.

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What size pump do I need for my boat?

The size of the pump you need will depend on the size of your boat and the amount of water that needs to be pumped out. It is recommended to choose a pump with a capacity that is at least one and a half times the amount of water in your boat's bilge.

2. What type of pump is best for my needs?

There are two main types of bilge pumps: manual and electric. Manual pumps are operated by hand and are best for small boats or as a backup option. Electric pumps are powered by the boat's battery and are more efficient for larger boats or in emergency situations.

3. How often should I check and maintain my bilge pump?

It is important to regularly check and maintain your bilge pump to ensure it is functioning properly. This should be done at least once a month, or more frequently if your boat is used frequently or in rough waters. You should also check for any clogs or debris that may hinder its performance.

4. Can I install the pump myself or do I need a professional?

The installation process for a bilge pump can vary depending on the type and size of the pump. It is recommended to consult with a professional if you are not familiar with boat mechanics or if you are unsure about the installation process. This will ensure that the pump is installed correctly and will function properly when needed.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a bilge pump?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to keep in mind when using a bilge pump. Always make sure to disconnect the power source before performing any maintenance or repairs. Also, be cautious of any electrical hazards and make sure to use the pump in a well-ventilated area to avoid any fumes. It is also important to regularly test the pump to ensure it is working properly in case of an emergency.