Looking for a cheap digital scale with accuracy <1 g

In summary: It could weigh tiny amounts accurately.In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a more accurate scale for measuring small amounts, specifically in the range of 0-1 g to 0.01 g. The suggestion of using a powder scale, typically used for weighing gun powder, is made with a typical accuracy of 0.1 grain or 0.006 gram. Sources for purchasing such a scale are provided, with a reminder to calibrate the scale with standard weights. One participant shares their success in finding a scale with claimed accuracy in the 0.001 g range and features to minimize air disturbances.
joniverson
I currently have a cheap digital scale that will measure, say, from 1 g and beyond to the hundredth place with reasonable accuracy, but for anything less than a gram, it is erratic. For example, when I'm adding 0.15 g of a chemical, sometimes the value will change but often it will not and whatever reading the scale already displayed remains. Obviously, this behavior jeopardizes accuracy. The scale I have is here. Not expensive and was hoping to find something similar with better accuracy in the aforementioned range (0-1 g to 0.01). Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I doubt anybody could get better than half gram accuracy with a scale of that style. Especially one that costs less than $7. That is based on my experience. Our business uses a scale, which have a resolution of 1 gram and costs over $100. I could be wrong, and maybe the technology now exists.

Amazon has some cheap and cheerful powder scales.
You could always calibrate a cheap set with some standard weights. That would still rely on consistent performance but you could spend some time to see if temperature correlates with the error.

Likes DrClaude
Thanks, all. Sophiecentaur, I ordered one similar to the ones you linked to a couple of days ago. It was just under $20 US with a claimed accuracy into the 0.001 g range. It arrived today and, using the included instructions, I calibrated it to read very close to actual values. I'm very happy with it and it will do what I am seeking. It won't measure the weight of an eyelash, but it will a small square of paper (roughly 10 mg). The top also closes to avoid air disturbances. If it continues to work well, a true bargain.

Likes sophiecentaur
joniverson said:
Thanks, all. Sophiecentaur, I ordered one similar to the ones you linked to a couple of days ago. It was just under $20 US with a claimed accuracy into the 0.001 g range. It arrived today and, using the included instructions, I calibrated it to read very close to actual values. I'm very happy with it and it will do what I am seeking. It won't measure the weight of an eyelash, but it will a small square of paper (roughly 10 mg). The top also closes to avoid air disturbances. If it continues to work well, a true bargain.
In Chemistry class, we had one which was inside a glass case to prevent moving air from affecting the measurement

Likes sophiecentaur

1. Can I trust the accuracy of a cheap digital scale?

Yes, you can trust the accuracy of a cheap digital scale as long as it meets the requirement of having an accuracy of <1 g. However, it is important to note that the accuracy may decrease over time with use and may need to be recalibrated.

2. How do I know if a digital scale has an accuracy of <1 g?

You can check the product specifications or user manual of the digital scale to see if it has an accuracy of <1 g. You can also look for certifications from reputable organizations that test and verify the accuracy of scales.

3. Are there any specific features I should look for in a digital scale to ensure accuracy?

Yes, there are certain features that can contribute to the accuracy of a digital scale. Look for scales with a high number of weighing points, a stable base, and a tare function to reset the scale to zero before weighing.

4. Can I use a digital scale with an accuracy of <1 g for all types of measurements?

It depends on the capacity and range of the scale. Some digital scales may have a smaller capacity and may not be suitable for larger measurements, such as for weighing heavy packages or ingredients in bulk. It is important to check the capacity and range of the scale before use.

5. How often should I calibrate a digital scale with an accuracy of <1 g?

It is recommended to calibrate a digital scale with an accuracy of <1 g at least once a year. However, if the scale is used frequently or for precise measurements, it may need to be calibrated more often to maintain its accuracy.