Looking for a Mechanical/Pump Engineer

• Thread starter EnquiringMind
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineer
In summary, the person is looking for a reference to find someone who is qualified to help them design a device that could potentially solve a problem they have.
EnquiringMind
Hello,

I reside in Connecticut and have designed a device (on paper only) that would solve a problem I (and many others) deal with.

I am not an engineer, nor am I going to school to be one. I just used my brain a little, and came up with a possible solution.

A major component of the device is a fluid pump.

So... here I am with a design on paper, and I want to sit down with an engineer and let him look it it... run the numbers... and simply tell me if it will work or not.

The past 2 days I have searched for Mechanical/Pump Engineers in Connecticut, and I'm still looking for someone... which is why I'm here.

The ideal person I am looking for would...
- be able to tell me if my idea is feasible... without physically building anything.
- has some experience (or at least, a desire) to work with an inventor.
- is someone I could actually meet (so, someone in the CT area)
- is smart and driven, of course
- would be willing to agree to non-disclosure and all that good stuff.

If there is no one here that is interested... where do I find someone like this?

Thanks for any guidance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
You should be able to google or look in a phone book for mechanical or HVAC engineers.

I guess, what I am really looking for is a reference.

I have exhausted Google and the Phone Book. I have contacted people in the UConn Mechanical Engineering department (still waiting to hear back). I have posted on Craigslist, talked to mentors via Score.org, looked on freelance websites like ELance... so on and so forth.

What I know is that I am incapable of knowing who is a really good mechanical engineer, and who is a "dime a dozen".

EnquiringMind said:
What I know is that I am incapable of knowing who is a really good mechanical engineer, and who is a "dime a dozen".

Ask the candidates to provide references. Their employers, former employers, former professors, etc. should be willing to vouch for a good engineer.

1. What is a mechanical/pump engineer?

A mechanical/pump engineer is a professional who designs, develops, and maintains mechanical systems, including pumps, for various industries such as manufacturing, energy, and water treatment. They use principles of physics, mathematics, and materials science to create efficient and reliable systems.

2. What are the responsibilities of a mechanical/pump engineer?

The responsibilities of a mechanical/pump engineer may vary depending on the industry and specific job role, but generally, they include designing and testing mechanical systems, troubleshooting and maintaining existing systems, and overseeing the installation and operation of pumps and other mechanical equipment.

3. What qualifications are necessary to become a mechanical/pump engineer?

To become a mechanical/pump engineer, you typically need a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or a related field. Some employers may also require a master's degree for more advanced positions. It is also essential to have strong analytical, problem-solving, and technical skills.

4. What are the key skills needed for a mechanical/pump engineer?

Some of the key skills needed for a successful career as a mechanical/pump engineer include strong technical and mathematical abilities, attention to detail, communication and teamwork skills, and the ability to think critically and creatively to solve complex problems.

5. What job opportunities are available for mechanical/pump engineers?

Mechanical/pump engineers have a wide range of job opportunities in industries such as manufacturing, oil and gas, water treatment, and consulting. They may work in roles such as design engineer, project manager, research and development engineer, or maintenance engineer. With experience and additional certifications, they can also advance to managerial or leadership positions.