Looking for fast electronically controlled valve

• Thread starter zakzackzachary
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Valve
In summary, Zachary is looking into using pneumatically controlled ball valves to control the speed at which a vortex ring generator opens and closes. He is also looking into utilizing a more commonly used instrumentation for his thesis, and is looking into utilizing a National Instruments DAQ. He is also looking into utilizing a LabView control interface.
zakzackzachary
Hi all, I'm new to this forum, but have used it before for school. I'm currently working on my MS mechanical thesis which pertains to vortex rings in fluid.

I was wondering if anyone had any good websites/suggestions for an electronically controlled valve with the following specifications:

• can be used with water at about 20°C
  • diameter of 0.5"- 1.0"
  • electronically controlled, preferably with a timer so I can generate consistent pulses
  • open/close within 500 ms (0.5 sec)
  • able to withstand a 6 ft pressure head (most should do this no problem)
  • budget of about $1000

Obviously my budget is high, so a high quality valve would be nice. I've looked through McMaster-Carr and Alibaba, and am going to continue my research, but just thought I'd see if anybody had any input.

Thanks in advanced!

Zachary

(PS. Sorry if this is the wrong forum)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome back to PF.
The fastest full flow valves I have found are standard ball valves since they only require a 90° rotation. Transition times are less than 100ms when controlled by DC servo motors.

Pneumatically controlled ball valves are available for the industrial market.

Okay great, the speed the valves open and close usually isn't mentioned in the specs. I've been chatting with customer service.

Is it modulating or two position? If two position, how about a solenoid valve?

Two position, and a solenoid would be great! That's what I'm looking into now.

Okay, I wanted to update this thread in case someone digs it up in a Google search or something.

I found a couple websites to check out including "www.ascovalve.com" , but am currently looking at some Burkert valves since they seem to have some easier control accessories.

So I've got this http://www.iprocessmart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=4021T5281 and am currently looking at the accessories to hook up to it in order to be able to open/close (read: control) it from a computer.

It looks like even the Burkert valves are somewhat industrial so I'm going to be looking into possibly utilizing a more often-used-at-universities-standard National Instruments DAQ and then use some sort of LabView like control interface.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an electronically controlled valve?

An electronically controlled valve is a type of valve that uses an electric signal to open or close the valve, instead of using a manual handle or lever. This allows for precise control over the flow of liquids or gases.

2. How fast can an electronically controlled valve open and close?

The speed of an electronically controlled valve depends on the specific model and manufacturer. However, most electronically controlled valves can open and close in a matter of milliseconds.

3. What are the advantages of using an electronically controlled valve?

There are several advantages to using an electronically controlled valve, including faster response times, more precise control over the flow of liquids or gases, and the ability to be easily integrated into automated systems.

4. How does an electronically controlled valve work?

An electronically controlled valve works by using an electric signal to activate a solenoid, which opens or closes the valve. This signal can come from a variety of sources, such as a computer, sensor, or control panel.

5. What factors should be considered when looking for a fast electronically controlled valve?

When looking for a fast electronically controlled valve, it is important to consider the flow rate, pressure rating, and compatibility with the substance being controlled. It is also important to consider the response time and precision needed for your specific application.