Looking for Griffith-style books on mechanics, thermodynamics, astronomy

In summary, the conversation covers book recommendations for various topics in physics, including quantum mechanics, classical mechanics, thermodynamics, and astrophysics. Some recommended books include A. Sommerfeld's Lectures on Theoretical Physics, Keith Symon's Mechanics, High Energy Astrophysics by Longair, and Compact Star Physics by J. Schaffner-Bielich. The conversation also discusses the differences in how physicists, chemists, and engineers approach thermodynamics.
szenhidrat
Hello!

Searching for above mentioned books for my Bsc studies. Like his style and the quantum and electro books were very well written(in my opinion) and easy to navigate through, also liked the pre-explained math tools i need for the book. Tried Goldstein and Taylor books on mechanics but they were "harder" to understand. Also have the Feynman books if someone wants to recommend that.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I've mixed feelings about the quantum book, while I think the E&M book is very good. For me the best books on classical physics still is A. Sommerfeld, Lectures on Theoretical Physics (with the exception that he uses the ##\mathrm{i} c t## convention in special relativity :-(). Vol. 1 on point-particle mechanics is full of gems and insights you don't find in such a compact way elsewhere.

Likes szenhidrat, madscientist_93 and mpresic3
Where/when I went to school the two choices were Marion/Thornton and Symon for intermediate mechanics.

Likes szenhidrat and mpresic3
For thermodynamics take a look at
Callen Thermodynamics and an Introduction to Thermostatistics
Reif Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermophysics
Baierlein Thermal Physics
Pippard Classical Thermodynamics
Be aware that physicists, chemists and engineers treat the subject differently. These are from a physics perspective.

I am not sure if it is what you are looking for, but I enjoyed the second edition of High Energy Astrophysics by Longair. There is a third edition out now. Generally I am not too picky about older books, but astrophysics changes enough so that you want something relatively recent.

Likes szenhidrat and vanhees71
Last edited:
Likes szenhidrat and vanhees71
Thanks guys! Managed to get a copy of Keith Symon Mechanics looks good so far. Will try to get one of the mentioned thermo books.

In astronomy i need to cover: stellar structure equations, spectrums, stellar atmosphere, variable stars, interstellar medium physics

Concerning stellar astrophysics, here's a great book by one of my colleagues:

J. Schaffner-Bielich, Compact star physics, CUP 2020

There's of course also one of Weinberg's last books, covering "stars", "binaries", "the interstellar medium", "glaxies"

S. Weinberg, Lectures on Astrophysics, CUP 2020

1. What are some popular books on mechanics by Griffith?

Some popular books on mechanics by Griffith include "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" and "Introduction to Electrodynamics".

2. Are there any books by Griffith on thermodynamics?

Yes, Griffith has written a book on thermodynamics titled "Introduction to Thermodynamics".

3. Do you have any recommendations for Griffith-style books on astronomy?

Yes, "Introduction to Astrophysics" by Griffith is a highly recommended book on astronomy.

4. Are these books suitable for beginners or are they more advanced?

Griffith's books on mechanics, thermodynamics, and astronomy are suitable for both beginners and those with some background knowledge in the subject.

5. Can these books be used as textbooks for university courses?

Yes, many universities use Griffith's books as textbooks for courses in mechanics, thermodynamics, and astronomy.