Looking for help Retro Fitting a computer keyboard

In summary, you want to use a computer's input/output mechanism to activate the typing action on an antique typewriter. You plan to use a switch to connect the keyboard I/O to a remote location, and you're worried about power issues.
vskjck
Long story short I want to Mount a Computer inside an Antique typewriter maintaining the look and feel of the antique. My initial plan is to dissasemble a Toshiba Satellite and disgard any thing I don't need (plastic housing, Maybe the speakers, and any chassis' I can do without) I have so far stripped the keyboard down to Flexible circuit board, and am looking for ideas on how to make the keys of the old typewriter activate the corresponding keys on the circuit board. This is The biggest problem I have with the project, I see it being very do able. underneath there are arms of metal that move about 3 -5 MM and I could make small contact swithces, very easily.What could I use to translate the contact switch to the digital keyboard that would be long lasting with minimal maintence? and where is the cheepest place to acquire such material, and what kinds of tools will I Need, I have basic tools, and can acquire specialty tools with in financial reason.

Attachments

• IMAG1442.jpg
    IMAG1442.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 454
  • IMAG1441.jpg
    IMAG1441.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 431
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi vskjck! http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

vskjck said:
Long story short I want to Mount a Computer inside an Antique typewriter maintaining the look and feel of the antique.
A novel idea, certainly. But speaking as one who typed his thesis on a manual typewriter, can I suggest you re-consider the nostalgia for the "feel" of tender nails as the heavy keys push the nail away from your finger with sustained typing! :frown: Apart from the discomfort of bleeding nails, depressing heavy keys on a manual typewriter is a real drag on ones pace of typing.

I don't have suggestions, apart from think carefully before plunging in too deep. :smile: Time has not dimmed my memory of those frightful keyboards. https://www.physicsforums.com/images/icons/icon11.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
NascentOxygen said:
A novel idea, certainly.

Well, not really. :biggrin:

300px-Michael_Holley_Computer_1978_NWCN.jpg

The original Selectric mechanism was designed and manufactured by the office equipment division of IBM, and was not engineered for use as a computer terminal. Adapting this mechanism to the needs of computer input/output was nontrivial. Microswitches were added to the keyboard, solenoids were added to allow the computer to trigger the typing mechanism, and interface electronics were also needed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Selectric_typewriter

all I want to do is basically extend the keyboard switches. each key has a simple I/O switch that is activated by completing a circuit. I would like to solder wires to both ends of the I/O swithch contacts and allow them to complete there actions in a remote location that is traversed via wire.

Can I do this?

my guess is that I am going to run into power issues.

i suppose another option would be to build an entire new circuit system, however interfacing that back to the computer and creating a driver to make the new circuit funtional is a bit beyond my abiility at this time.

I would suggest looking into using a microcontroller to translate the contact switches from the typewriter keys to the digital keyboard. This would allow for a more reliable and efficient connection between the keys and the circuit board. Additionally, you may want to consider using a Raspberry Pi or Arduino board to control the microcontroller and integrate it with the computer.

In terms of tools, you may need a soldering iron, wire cutters, and wire strippers to connect the microcontroller to the circuit board. You may also need some basic programming skills to program the microcontroller.

As for acquiring materials, I would suggest looking online for electronic components suppliers or visiting a local electronics store. It may also be helpful to reach out to online communities or forums for advice and recommendations on specific materials and tools.

Overall, it seems like your project is very doable with the right tools and materials. Just make sure to plan and research thoroughly before starting to ensure the best possible outcome. Good luck!

What is retro fitting a computer keyboard?

Retro fitting a computer keyboard refers to the process of modifying or upgrading an existing keyboard to make it compatible with newer computers or to add new features.

Why would someone need to retro fit a computer keyboard?

There are a few reasons why someone may need to retro fit a computer keyboard. This could include wanting to use an older keyboard with a newer computer, adding new features to an existing keyboard, or repairing a damaged keyboard.

What tools or skills are needed to retro fit a computer keyboard?

The tools and skills needed for retro fitting a computer keyboard may vary depending on the specific modifications being made. However, some common tools and skills that may be required include a screwdriver, soldering iron, knowledge of basic electronics, and experience with computer hardware.

Is it possible to retro fit any keyboard to work with any computer?

In most cases, it is possible to retro fit a keyboard to work with a different computer. However, there may be compatibility issues or limitations depending on the specific keyboard and computer models.

Can a retro fitted keyboard still be used with its original computer?

Yes, a retro fitted keyboard can still be used with its original computer if the modifications are done correctly and do not interfere with its original functionality. However, it is always recommended to test the keyboard on both the original and new computer after retro fitting it to ensure it works properly.