Textbook Suggestions for a Physics Student with Little Experience

In summary, the individual is a high school student looking for a thorough understanding of classical mechanics. They have some experience with physics through Khan Academy and have read Feynman's Lectures and H.C Verma. They are seeking recommendations for textbooks and have heard of Feynman's Lectures and Morin's Intro to Classical Mechanics, as well as the triplet of HC Verma, DC Pandey, and Irodov. They are concerned about being "prepared" for these textbooks and are looking for an introductory textbook. The expert recommends "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday, Resnick, and Walker as a comprehensive introductory textbook covering mechanics, electricity, magnetism, waves, and relativity, with a calculus-based approach.
Feelsgreatman
Hello everyone! Before I begin, I would like to thank you for helping me by responding or just being intrigued by this.

I’m a high school student who wants to basically have a very deep understanding of classical mechanics (for f=ma exam and ultimately my dream). My only experience with physics is most of the AP Physics 1 course in Khan Academy. I have also read a bit of Feynman’s Lectures Volume 1 along with some H.C Verma.

My problem is that I don’t know what would be the best set of textbooks to pick. I’ve heard people recommend the Feynman’s Lectures and Morin’s Intro to Classical Mechanics duo but I feel that I may not be “prepared” for them. I also heard of the triplet HC Verma, DC Pandey and Irodov but fear that the beginning will be too “easy” meaning it wouldn’t teach me much.

To summarize, I am a student with tiny bit of Physics experience who is in need of a classical mechanics textbook (or any introductory ones in general). Sorry if I wasted your time and I hope you a wonderful and productive day.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are not wasting anyone’s time. By far the best text for intro physics in Mechanics is the decades old book by Halliday and Resnick and Walker entitled
“ Fundamentals of Physics” (the latest basic edition, not the extended edition which covers advanced topics). The book covers Mechanics (forces , vectors, motion, energy, momentum, etc.) and also other branches of Physics like electricity, magnetism, waves, relativity). If you took AP PHY 1, I assume the text on Mechanics covers the same topics, although I’m not familiar with Khans course. Be sure it’s Calculus based Physics, even though you might not have taken Calculus yet, but which you should take.
Good Luck!

Likes Abhishek11235 and vanhees71
Maybe Antony French's Newtonian mechanics.

Likes Daverz

1. What textbooks do you recommend for a beginner in physics?

For someone with little experience in physics, I would recommend starting with "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick. It provides a solid foundation in the fundamentals of classical mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism.

2. Are there any textbooks that are more visual and interactive for a beginner in physics?

Yes, "Physics for Scientists and Engineers: A Strategic Approach" by Knight is a great option for those who prefer a more visual and interactive approach to learning. It includes many diagrams, videos, and interactive simulations to help with understanding concepts.

3. Do you have any suggestions for textbooks that cover modern physics topics?

"Modern Physics" by Serway, Moses, and Moyer is a comprehensive textbook that covers topics such as relativity, quantum mechanics, and nuclear physics. It also includes many real-world examples and applications to help with understanding.

4. Are there any textbooks that are specifically designed for self-study?

"Conceptual Physics" by Hewitt is a great option for self-study. It presents concepts in a clear and easy-to-understand manner, and includes many practice problems and exercises to help with retention and application of knowledge.

5. Can you recommend any textbooks that are available for free online?

Yes, "University Physics Volume 1" by OpenStax is a free, open-source textbook that covers topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and waves. It also includes interactive simulations and practice problems to aid in understanding and retention of concepts.