Looking for locking spring mechanism for cassette-like application

In summary, the conversation is about a hobbyist project of creating a real life version of the Pip Boy 3000 MK 4 from the game Fallout 4. The creator wants to modify the cartridge slot to be more like the Nintendo 3DS game slot with a locking spring mechanism that can extend up to 1 inch or 2.5 cm to accommodate gameboy advance cartridges. They have already made a custom sized cartridge slot and are seeking advice on how to build the locking spring mechanism. There is also a discussion about potential patent or copyright issues with the project.
shushi_boi
Hi,

I want to apologize in advance because I have not studied mechanical engineering in any profound sense other than in my hobbyist projects (I focus more on software engineering). Currently I am creating a real life Raspberry Pip Boy 3000 MK 4 from the Fallout 4 video game with instead of running cassettes, it'll play and run gameboy, gameboy color, and gameboy advance game cartridges.

Here's an example of the Pip Boy 3000 mk iv, and its cassette tape cartridge slot functionality (at 0:40 in the video)

but I wanted to modify the pipboy's cartridge slot to be more like the Nintendo's 3DS game slot, where the springs lock in the game cartridge when it's pushed in and springs back the game out when it's pushed out.

Since I also wanted to run gameboy advanced cartridge games, I wanted to find or find a way to create a similar locking spring mechanism that will push/extend the gameboy advance cartridge out up to 1" or 2.5cm.

I have already made a custom sized cartridge slot that will fit gameboy and gameboy advanced game cartridges, from a GBA Game Cart Slot replacement part for NDS Lite
NEW-for-font-b-Gameboy-b-font-font-b-Advance-b-font-40-Pin-Ribbon-Cable.jpg

and here's the custom dimensions of the pip boy cassette slot that I made, (although I later had to modify the length to 70 mm)
icm_fullxfull.98837409_pjrs9fgiug0gww4swcc0.jpg

What are your guys' advice on this? If there aren't any push lock spring mechanisms (that extend up to 1 inch or 2.5cm) that I can buy online, how could I build this mechanism from scratch? I apologize for the trouble, and I really appreciate your guy's (and gal's) time! :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'd start by looking at SD and Micro SD cards do it (they're cheap) as well as ball point clicky pens... usually it's with a torsion spring that's in a "track" and the end of the spring has to go around a pattern.

Likes shushi_boi
@shushi_boi -- Are there any patent or copyright issues with what you are doing? I'm not familiar enough with game consoles and applicable laws to tell.

Likes shushi_boi
Rx7man said:
I'd start by looking at SD and Micro SD cards do it (they're cheap) as well as ball point clicky pens... usually it's with a torsion spring that's in a "track" and the end of the spring has to go around a pattern.

Thank you for your suggestions! I'm currently using the ball point pen idea and I took apart a cheap pen and I am modifying its mechanisms, since the length to which it extended out when clicked on wasn't long enough to push out the game cartridge.

berkeman said:
@shushi_boi -- Are there any patent or copyright issues with what you are doing? I'm not familiar enough with game consoles and applicable laws to tell.

Not that I am aware of, since this is just a private project that I am doing, the only thing that may become question is emulating and playing gameboy games from my pipboy, but I think it's only a problem if my project somehow is able to steal monetized value from Nintendo, or if in the emulation itself I removed the nintendo logo from the games. I appreciate the heads ups, and thank you for your reply!

1. What is a locking spring mechanism?

A locking spring mechanism is a type of mechanism that is designed to keep two or more parts of a device or object securely locked together. It typically involves a spring that is compressed or tensioned in order to hold the parts in place.

2. What is a cassette-like application?

A cassette-like application refers to a device or object that resembles a cassette in form or function. This could include cassette tapes, cassette players, or any other object that has a similar shape or purpose.

3. Why is a locking spring mechanism important for a cassette-like application?

A locking spring mechanism is important for a cassette-like application because it helps to keep the parts of the device securely in place. This is especially important for devices that are regularly moved or jostled, such as a cassette player.

4. What are some common materials used for locking spring mechanisms?

Some common materials used for locking spring mechanisms include steel, stainless steel, brass, and plastic. The specific material used will depend on the application and the level of strength and durability required.

5. How do I choose the right locking spring mechanism for my cassette-like application?

When choosing a locking spring mechanism for a cassette-like application, it is important to consider the size and weight of the device, as well as the level of security and durability needed. It may also be helpful to consult with a professional or do some research to find the best option for your specific application.