Looking for Nuclear Engineering must reads

In summary, the author recommends books for core nuclear courses, but they are not very useful for coursework. He recommends one book that is outside of coursework, which is a large and expensive to find book.
random_soldier
I'm asking for suggestions in various categories as some of them might be more important for coursework whereas others might be more recreational and to expand knowledge.

I know for example that Knoll is the go to for radiation detection and Lamarsh and Baratta is the most important for intro to nuclear engineering (of course some disagree with dumbing down in it, which is why I ask). Any books that anyone would like to recommend as a must have for core nuclear courses?

Other books that I'm looking for are more for my knowledge. For example, I found introductory nuclear physics by krane really helpful in explaining some of the concepts and bridging the gap between quantum/particle physics and nuclear for someone who hasn't had a rigorous physics background in those. Not to mention a fun read. But despite all that, it has been not useful for coursework and has been more recreational for me. Point is, I enjoy it for knowledge and recreation and I would like other suggestions for these as well so that I may expand my understanding of nuclear even if I don't formally take a course, please?

There is one pet peeve that I would like to address specifically, however. I'm unable to find much information on books that detail nuclear engineering from a fusion perspective. For example, materials and neutronics usually detail everything from fission reactor standpoints with a very minor aside, if at all, towards fusion. Any suggestions for those?

Physics news on Phys.org
bump

here's one totally outside any coursework: David Okrent's "book" On the History of the Evolution of Light Water Reactor Safety in the United States. Available on NRC ADAMS at ML090630275. This is a huge work over 1100 pages, with many many primary references (letters and memos) included. I think this is the basis for his published book(s) sadly long out of print and therefore quite pricey on the used market. This one is a download.

I can't find that specific one. The numbers jump from 090630266 to 090630285.

really, it comes up for me. In ADAMS do an Advanced Search, pick Property = Accession Number, Starts With, then in Value, enter ML090630275, then Search.

it is a big file cause its scanned, 64 MB

Likes random_soldier
Ah thanks. I found it. Please let me know if you have any other suggestions.

1. What are some essential books for understanding nuclear engineering?

Some must-read books for nuclear engineering include "Nuclear Energy: An Introduction to the Concepts, Systems, and Applications of Nuclear Processes" by Raymond L. Murray, "Fundamentals of Nuclear Reactor Physics" by Elmer E. Lewis, and "Nuclear Engineering: Theory and Technology of Commercial Nuclear Power" by Ronald Allen Knief.

2. Are there any books specifically focused on nuclear safety?

Yes, "Nuclear Safety" by James J. Duderstadt and Daniel J. Kevles is a comprehensive book that covers the history, science, and policy of nuclear safety. "Introduction to Nuclear Reactor Safety" by Anthony M. Judd and John R. Lamarsh is also a highly recommended book for understanding the principles of nuclear safety.

3. Are there any books that cover the history of nuclear engineering?

Yes, "The Making of the Atomic Bomb" by Richard Rhodes is a Pulitzer Prize-winning book that covers the history of the development of nuclear weapons. "Dark Sun: The Making of the Hydrogen Bomb" by Richard Rhodes is another highly recommended book that delves into the history of nuclear weapons development.

4. What are some good introductory books for beginners in nuclear engineering?

Some good introductory books for beginners in nuclear engineering include "Introductory Nuclear Reactor Dynamics" by Karl O. Ott, "Nuclear Reactor Analysis" by James J. Duderstadt and Louis J. Hamilton, and "Nuclear Reactor Engineering: Reactor Systems Engineering" by Samuel Glasstone and Alexander Sesonske.

5. Are there any books that cover the environmental impact of nuclear engineering?

Yes, "Nuclear Energy and the Environment" by John J. Berger and "Environmental Impact of Nuclear Power Plants" by Samuel Glasstone and Alexander Sesonske are two books that cover the environmental impact of nuclear engineering. "Nuclear Power and the Environment" by Ann Alexander and "Nuclear Energy and the Public" by Brian Martin are also recommended books on this topic.