Looking for recommendations for a good Antenna book

Guineafowl
TL;DR Summary
Recommendations for a book on design and theory of (receiving) antennas
I’ve recently restored a Cossor 501 valve (tube) radio, which can receive LW, MW and SW. It has an external antenna socket (for SW), and I’d like to gain some knowledge on how to design and build something to plug in to it.

A single wire about 20m long, draped out of the window, has enabled me to receive broadcasts in Spanish, Arabic, Mandarin, Russian (or similar), of varying signal strength, and I‘ve been experimenting with orientations and shapes. It would be nice to actually know what I’m doing.

So, I’m after a reasonably comprehensive book, possibly up to undergraduate level, on antenna theory. Suggestions, please.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Since you are looking to home-brew your own antenna, this book is pretty much ideal for you:

1701547379454.png

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0872599043/?tag=pfamazon01-20

If you have a local HAM Radio Outlet or similar store, they probably have copies for sale there, and can also give you some tips if you have questions. :smile:

• Informative
  • Love
Likes davenn, DaveE, Guineafowl and 2 others
Thanks. It looks like that book will have to be shipped over from the US, but that’s ok. I’ll get my calculator ready for all those ‘orrible fractional inches :biggrin:

• Haha
Likes davenn and berkeman
A copy of that book ^^ is winging its way to me, all the way from California. Will take a week or two.

In the meantime, is there anything practical I can get started with? I was quite impressed with a simple long wire draped out of the window.

The radio antenna socket has ‘aerial’ and ‘earth‘ connections, and I’m seeking SW broadcasts, say 3-30 MHz. Standard valve (tube) superhet design. Transformer type, so isolated from mains.

There are a few subtleties with receivers like this. They often have ample gain, so large antenna is not necessarily helpful as it can cause overloading. Also the receiver has a ground, or earth, terminal which is unfortunately connected to the mains earth. This is undesirable due to noise voltages on the mains earth. We live in a very noise polluted environment due to IT equipment, so an antenna remote from the receiver with a balanced or coaxial feeder seems attractive. I have also had good reports of the "Mini Whip", which is a small, active antenna incorporating an amplifier.

Likes Guineafowl
For interest, here is the circuit diagram of the radio. I’ve circled the relevant connections, which are made to L1, the internal frame aerial, in the absence of an external one:

image.jpg

Regarding a coax feeder, I’ve got some idea of impedance matching, but I don’t suppose there’s a hope of working out the input impedance of this setup?

I also have a ‘series set’ style receiver, a Bush DAC90A, which picks up a lot of SMPS noise. Would it be worth posting a schematic here, in case I can somehow connect in a mini whip, or perhaps start a separate thread?

Impedance matching does not matter in this case. These receivers tend to have an input impedance of say 500 Ohms, to suit a wire antenna. Just use a coaxial cable to connect to a remote antenna.
Be careful with the DAC90 as it has a live chassis.

tech99 said:
Be careful with the DAC90 as it has a live chassis.
Yikes! How can you connect antenna cables to such a beast?

berkeman said:
Yikes! How can you connect antenna cables to such a beast?
It has no aerial* connection, just an internal frame one for LW and MW only.

I’ve disconnected the 1950s swappable polarity power pins and fed in a permanent power cord to ensure the chassis is always to neutral (UK plugs are all polarised). As presented, there‘s no exposed metalwork, and presumably that was regarded as safe enough back then. Repair work (and scoping) is done while powered from an isolation transformer.

The UK regs require that any accessible ‘live’ conductors (to include both L and N) are double sleeved, so any feeder line/antenna* to a live chassis set should comply with this. I’m sure this could be achieved, even as an interesting theoretical exercise.

*Using ‘aerial’ and ‘antenna’ interchangeably

Likes berkeman
If you are UK based then the RSGB have many publications at various levels.
this could be worth looking at.

Likes Guineafowl

What is a good beginner-friendly book on antennas?

For those new to the field, "Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design" by Constantine A. Balanis is highly recommended. It provides comprehensive coverage of basic antenna types, theory, and design processes, making it accessible for beginners.

Can you recommend a book that covers advanced antenna design and technology?

"Antennas for All Applications" by John D. Kraus and Ronald J. Marhefka is an excellent choice for more advanced readers. It delves into complex antenna systems and modern developments in antenna technology, suitable for graduate-level students and professionals.

Is there a book that focuses on practical antenna applications for communication systems?

"Practical Antenna Handbook" by Joseph Carr and George Hippisley is a great resource. It focuses on the practical aspects of antenna design and application, making it ideal for engineers and technicians working in communication technology.

What book would you suggest for learning about antenna simulations?

"Antenna Design by Simulation-Driven Optimization" by Slawomir Koziel and Stanislav Ogurtsov offers a detailed look into using computer simulations for optimizing antenna design. It is perfect for those interested in computational electromagnetics in antenna design.

Are there any specialized books focusing on antennas for specific applications like satellite or radar systems?

For specialized applications, "Microwave Antenna Theory and Design" by Samuel Silver is an excellent resource, particularly for radar and satellite communications. It covers theory and practical aspects of designing antennas for high-frequency applications.