Looking for resources to develop my skills in undergraduate Physics and Mathematics

Ali sulieman
I want YouTube channels that systematically raise my mathematics and physics level

Physics news on Phys.org
Ali sulieman said:
I want YouTube channels that systematically raise my mathematics and physics level
How about you study actual textbooks ?

• Love
  • Informative
Likes Vanadium 50, DeBangis21, Ali sulieman and 3 others
YouTube Channels sometimes provide good lectures, but it's an illusion to think that one can learn physics by just watching such lectures. It's also very hard to judge, whether the lecture is really good or whether it's by some crackpot spreading personal "theories". One way to be pretty much on the safe side is to watch YouTube movies provided by universities, i.e., professors giving an actual lecture at a university.

To really learn physics, you should work through textbooks from trustworthy publishers or from manuscripts provided by professors on universities etc. Then you can be pretty sure, that the material in these sources is valid.

Even more important is that you can learn physics only by actively working on it, i.e., you start with reading the textbook/manuscript about a topic you want to learn and then try to solve problems related to that topic to see, whether you've really understood the topic.

Likes tuxscholar, Florian Geyer, Ishika_96_sparkles and 4 others
vanhees71 said:
Even more important is that you can learn physics only by actively working on it, i.e., you start with reading the textbook/manuscript about a topic you want to learn and then try to solve problems related to that topic to see, whether you've really understood the topic.
This is so true. As others have noted, learning physics by reading alone would be like learning to play piano by reading a book. It simply is not possible.

Likes PhDeezNutz and vanhees71
gmax137 said:
This is so true. As others have noted, learning physics by reading alone would be like learning to play piano by reading a book. It simply is not possible.
Apparently Theodor Kaluza learned how to swim solely by reading a book about it.

Likes vanhees71 and gmax137
haushofer said:
Apparently Theodor Kaluza learned how to swim solely by reading a book about it.
o_O Is this really true? Wiki says
Strange stories were told of his private life, for example, that he taught himself to swim during his thirties of age by reading a book about it and succeeded at his first attempt in the water.
Notice there is no source identified. So maybe it's true. What makes it an interesting story is that it is highly unusual.

haushofer said:
But how fast was he on his first lap? :wink:

haushofer said:
So did Sheldon Cooper.

• Haha
Likes vanhees71

1. What types of resources are available for developing skills in undergraduate Physics and Mathematics?

There are many resources available for developing skills in undergraduate Physics and Mathematics. These can include textbooks, online courses, practice problems, tutoring services, study groups, and workshops or seminars.

2. How can I find the best resources for my specific needs?

To find the best resources for your specific needs, you can start by talking to your professors or academic advisors for recommendations. You can also do some research online and read reviews from other students who have used the resources. Additionally, you can reach out to other students in your program or join study groups to get recommendations from them.

3. Are there any free resources available for developing skills in undergraduate Physics and Mathematics?

Yes, there are many free resources available for developing skills in undergraduate Physics and Mathematics. These can include open access textbooks, online tutorials and videos, and practice problems on websites such as Khan Academy and Coursera. Additionally, many universities offer free tutoring services and study groups for their students.

4. How often should I use these resources to see improvement in my skills?

The frequency of using these resources will depend on your individual learning style and needs. However, it is recommended to use them consistently and regularly, such as dedicating a certain amount of time each week to studying and practicing. This will help you see improvement in your skills over time.

5. Can using these resources replace attending lectures and completing coursework?

No, these resources should be used as supplements to attending lectures and completing coursework. They can help reinforce your understanding of concepts and provide additional practice, but they should not replace the important learning that takes place in the classroom and through coursework.