Looking for unique load cell, or equal

In summary, the author is looking for a weight/measurement device that may be cheaper and easier to produce than a normal load cell, and that would be certified not required. The author is looking for a wireless signal to be sent to a digital screen to show the measurement of weight that was introduced on top of the bolt, preferably to the nearest 1 lb. or up to 5 lbs.
RWS000
LOOKING FOR WEIGHT/MEASUREMENT DEVICE: DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Please bear with me. I think the best way to present this is to post my RFQ and that will, I hope, explain what I am looking for. AN ALTERNATIVE TO A NORMAL LOAD CELL, WHICH WOULD HOPEFULLY BE MUCH CHEAPER, WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION:

A stainless steel washer type load cell, with bolt hole in center, that may measure the bolt compression force, then be “reset” or recalibrated to zero and be able to measure additional weight, for the range of 0 to 1000 lbs and/or metric system, put or loaded on top of the bolt head platform. The ultimate goal is to measure the net weight (0 to 1000 lbs) added to the top of the bolt head after the bolt has been tightened in place. The actual bolt compression force initially put on the load cell would be to anchor the cell down with enough force for it to be mechanically very tight. The measurement of that force is not really required, unless it required on your end as part of a washer type design. A consideration would be if a “reset” calibration would be more expensive to introduce to the design or a design that could allow the load cell not to start measuring until after the bolt anchoring compression had been completed. However what is critical is for the load cell to be bolted in place through the load cell center bolt hole anchoring the load cell in place and then be able to measure the subsequent weight put on top of the bolt (range of 0 to 1000 lbs), starting at zero measurement.
The next requirement is for a wireless signal to be sent to a digital screen showing what the measurement of weight is that was introduced on top of the bolt, preferably to the nearest 1 lb. or up to 5 lbs. (about 2%).
The load cell would be exposed to the environment and the digital receiver would not. The receiver would normally be located within 30 feet of the load cell.
Certification is not required.

Another option would be that the load cell would not be wireless, and the digital screen would be located adjacent, or close proximity, to the load cell and connected by wires.

The size of the load cell washer could be approximately 1.5 to 2 inches O.D. with a 3/4 inch diameter hole in it’s center, and 1/16 to 3/8 inch thick. And the digital receiver could be approximately 1 to 1.5 inches wide by 1 to 3 inches long and about ¼ to 3/8 inches thick, and a male/female Velcro type anchoring system on the back of it’s plastic housing, to keep it in place.

If this device proves to be marketable it would be ordered and mass produced in lots of 1000.

I am quite sure the device can be manufactured, it’s marketability will depend on how cheaply it can be done. The cost of the load cell will be critical. It should be priced as a volume product.

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are a variety of companies that make custom strain gauges. many utilize either foil
gauges, I'm not sure if your load would be compatible with a piezoresistor.

I've used this company in the past to make me a strain gauge which I used to measure the amount of torque for an oil filed application. They were pretty professional. Their are other companies though. I would think that a local indicator transmitting to wireless would be the easier of the two scenarios you mentioned.

Thanks Mordred...

What is a load cell and how does it work?

A load cell is a sensor used to measure weight or force. It works by converting the applied force into an electrical signal, typically through the use of strain gauges. The strain gauges measure the deformation of the load cell and produce an electrical output proportional to the force applied.

What makes a load cell unique?

A load cell can be considered unique based on its design, materials used, and the type of force it can measure. Some load cells are designed for specific applications, such as high-temperature environments or underwater use. Others may be made from specialized materials for increased accuracy or durability. Additionally, load cells can be designed to measure different types of forces, such as compression, tension, or shear.

What are the different types of load cells?

There are several types of load cells, including strain gauge, hydraulic, pneumatic, and capacitive load cells. Strain gauge load cells are the most commonly used and consist of a metal structure with strain gauges attached to measure deformation. Hydraulic load cells use fluid pressure to measure force, while pneumatic load cells use air pressure. Capacitive load cells use changes in capacitance to measure force.

What factors should be considered when choosing a load cell?

When looking for a unique load cell, some important factors to consider include the type of force being measured, the accuracy and precision needed, the environmental conditions it will be used in, and the budget. It is also essential to consider the load cell's capacity, resolution, and sensitivity to ensure it is suitable for the intended application.

Where can I find a unique load cell or equal?

There are many suppliers and manufacturers of load cells that offer a variety of unique designs and types. Some may specialize in specific industries or applications, so it is best to research and compare different options to find the most suitable load cell. Online marketplaces and directories can also be helpful in finding unique load cells or connecting with suppliers directly.