Computer vision engineer looking for career change into physics

In summary, universities will usually require a bachelor's degree in physics in order to enter most master's programs in physics. However, this may vary from program to program. You may want to look into the admission requirements for a number of different programs you would be interested in.
simba
I am a computer science graduate working in computer vision , remote sensing field for a private company. Been studying physics on my own for curiosity(A levels, H&R books, feynman essentials) . I developed interest in physics few years back and I have been searching for ways to convert my career into physics. My interests and choices are in Earth
& planetary science and computational physics. I have done physics in my higher secondary school and I didn't have any courses in my bachelors. If I do online courses on physics subjects in online university, would it help me land at any master's at universities? Do universities consider it? Does it add any value while applying for the university?
Or can I study and try to score good marks in GRE physics to add value to my profile while applying for universities? I am looking for universities in Europe especially in Germany and Netherlands.
Please advice me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Universities are typically looking for credentials equivalent to a bachelor in physics as a requirement to enter most master programs in physics. However, this may vary from program to program. You may want to look into the actual admission requirements for a number of different programs you would be interested in.

The admissions requirements of graduate programs will depend on the university. You should search them out on the net and contact them directly. It will also depend on a prof being willing to be your faculty adviser. If you can't get a prof to let you into his/her research program you will have a lot of difficulty. You should be searching out profs in areas you are interested in and contacting them directly to ask if they might have room for you.

Also, you should carefully evaluate your financial situation. Most universities want you to work full time on your degree, with possibly around 10 hours per week maximum working at some job. So you will need to have saved enough to pay your living expenses during the degree, plus tuition, books, fees, etc.

Thanks to both of you. I have taken my consideration about your advice. So I infer that as long as university is willing to admit me and provide some support with the extra physics courses, I can join?

1. Can a computer vision engineer make a successful career change into physics?

Yes, a computer vision engineer can make a successful career change into physics. The skills and knowledge acquired in computer vision, such as coding, data analysis, and problem-solving, are highly transferable and valuable in the field of physics.

2. What are some potential job opportunities for a computer vision engineer transitioning into physics?

Some potential job opportunities for a computer vision engineer transitioning into physics include research positions in fields like quantum computing, machine learning, and astrophysics. They can also pursue careers in industries such as robotics, aerospace, and defense.

3. What skills should a computer vision engineer focus on developing to be successful in physics?

Computer vision engineers looking to transition into physics should focus on developing strong mathematical and programming skills. They should also familiarize themselves with physics concepts and theories, and be able to apply them to real-world problems.

4. Are there any specific courses or certifications that can help a computer vision engineer with a career change into physics?

Yes, there are several courses and certifications that can help a computer vision engineer with a career change into physics. Some examples include courses in quantum mechanics, machine learning, and data analysis, as well as certifications in programming languages like Python and C++.

5. How can a computer vision engineer network and connect with professionals in the field of physics?

A computer vision engineer can network and connect with professionals in the field of physics through attending conferences, workshops, and industry events. They can also join online communities and forums, and reach out to individuals on professional networking platforms like LinkedIn.