Loop the loop and start height

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a cart of mass 500 kg going around a circular loop-the-loop of radius 7 m. The cart must have a normal force of at least 0.8 times its weight to safely negotiate the loop. The question is to determine the minimum height the cart must be released from in order to successfully complete the loop. The equations used are F=ma, K=1/2mv^2, and U=mgh. The correct solution is found by using Acp(m)=.8mg+mg.
gknowels

Homework Statement

The two problems below are related to a cart of mass M = 500 kg going around a circular loop-the-loop of radius R = 7 m, as shown in the figures. Assume that friction can be ignored. Also assume that, in order for the cart to negotiate the loop safely, the normal force exerted by the track on the cart at the top of the loop must be at least equal to 0.8 times the weight of the cart. (Note: This is different from the conditions needed to "just negotiate" the loop.) You may treat the cart as a point particle.

For this part, the cart slides down a frictionless track before encountering the loop. What is the minimum height h above the top of the loop that the cart can be released from rest in order that it safely negotiate the loop?

Homework Equations

F=ma
K=1/2mv^2
U=mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

First I found the centripetal acceleration as Acp(m)=.8m+mg
then found velocity from Acp=(v^2)/r
from here i found K=1/2mv^2 and added it to U=mgh. This value must then equal mg(start height) and subtract 2r to get h

the answer I arrived at was 3.79 m, which the system said was incorrect. So I am stumped at this point. Can anyone please help me figure out where I have made a mistake? Thanks so much, and I love the site.

Physics news on Phys.org
First I found the centripetal acceleration as Acp(m)=.8m+mg
Try this one: Acp(m)=.8mg+mg

Thank you for your help, that indeed gave me the correct solution. A simple oversight by me. Thanks again:smile:

Related to Loop the loop and start height

1. What is a loop the loop and start height?

A loop the loop is a roller coaster element where the track forms a complete vertical loop. The start height is the height at which the train enters the loop.

2. What is the purpose of a loop the loop on a roller coaster?

The purpose of a loop the loop is to provide riders with a thrilling and exciting experience. The high speeds and forces experienced during the loop can create a sense of weightlessness and adrenaline rush.

3. How does the start height affect a loop the loop?

The start height of a loop the loop is crucial as it determines the speed and forces experienced by the riders. A higher start height will result in a faster speed and stronger forces, while a lower start height will have a slower speed and weaker forces.

4. What is the minimum start height for a loop the loop?

The minimum start height for a loop the loop depends on several factors such as the train design, track design, and desired speed and forces. Generally, a minimum start height of 70-80 feet is required for a successful loop the loop.

5. Are there any safety concerns with loop the loops?

Loop the loops have been extensively studied and designed to ensure the safety of riders. However, there is a risk of injury if riders do not follow the safety guidelines, such as keeping their heads back and remaining seated during the loop. Roller coasters are also constantly monitored and undergo regular maintenance to ensure their safe operation.