Loop with variable nesting depth and variable count at each level

In summary: Pythondef factorial(n): if n<=0: return 1 elif n==1: return 1 elif n<=2: return 1*factorial(n-1) elif n<=3: return 2*factorial(n-1) elif n<=4: return 3*factorial(n-1) elif n<=5: return 4*factorial(
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
TL;DR Summary
"M" levels of nested loops;
each loop running from 1 to Counts[[m]]
In Mathematica, how can we have "M" levels of nested loops, with each loop (level) going from 1 to Counts=##\{N_1, N_2, ... N_M\}## respectively, where the value of M and the elements of Counts are computed beforehand?

Physics news on Phys.org
Swamp Thing said:
TL;DR Summary: "M" levels of nested loops;
each loop running from 1 to Counts[[m]]

In Mathematica, how can we have "M" levels of nested loops, with each loop (level) going from 1 to Counts=##\{N_1, N_2, ... N_M\}## respectively, where the value of M and the elements of Counts are computed beforehand?

Do a single loop of length [itex]N_1N_2 \dots N_M[/itex] and calculate the values of the separate indices [itex](i_1, \dots, i_M)[/itex] in each iteration based on the single index [tex]
1 \leq i = 1 + (i_1 - 1) + N_1(i_2 - 1) + N_1N_2(i_3 - 1) + \dots + (N_1N_2 \cdots N_{M-1})(i_M - 1) \leq (N_1 \cdots N_{M})
[/tex] as [tex]
\begin{split}
i_1 &= 1 + (i \mod N_1) \\
i_2 &= 1 + ((i - i_1)/N_1 \mod N_2) \\
i_3 &= 1 + ((i - i_1 - N_1i_2)/N_2 \mod N_3)
\end{split}[/tex] etc.

EDIT: More efficient is to increment [itex]i_1[/itex] after each loop, and increment [itex]i_2[/itex] and reset [itex]i_1[/itex] if this makes [itex]i_1 > N_1[/itex], etc.

Last edited:
jedishrfu said:
There is a discussion on stackexchange about using recursion
pasmith said:
Do a single loop of length N1N2…NM and calculate the values of the separate indices

Thanks, I will do both methods as an exercise to keep from getting rusty. I have always felt a bit daunted by recursive code, so this may be a good time to lay that to rest. And pasmith's method seems to have a lot of moving parts, which will be interesting to master.

Code:
// Initialize loop counters
for i = 1 to M:
   I[i] = 1

while true:

// do stuff

// Increment I[1]
   I[1] += 1

for i = 1  to M-1:
      // If I[i] has advanced beyond Counts[i], set it to 1 and increment I[i+1].
      if I[i] > Counts[i]:
         I[i] = 1
         I[i+1] += 1

// As soon as I[M] is out of range we are done.
   if I[M] > Counts[M]:
      break

Likes Swamp Thing
Here's am example of factorial in Mathematica from the RosettaCode site:

Mathematica / Wolfram Language

Note that Mathematica already comes with a factorial function, which can be used as e.g. 5! (gives 120). So the following implementations are only of pedagogical value.

Recursive​

Code:
factorial[n_Integer] := n*factorial[n-1]
factorial[0] = 1

Iterative (direct loop)​

Code:
factorial[n_Integer] :=
  Block[{i, result = 1}, For[i = 1, i <= n, ++i, result *= i]; result]

Iterative (list)​

Code:
factorial[n_Integer] := Block[{i}, Times @@ Table[i, {i, n}]]

https://rosettacode.org/wiki/Factorial#Mathematica_/_Wolfram_Language

and more languages implementing factorial:

https://rosettacode.org/wiki/Factorial

I like this site because of its numerous examples and language comparisons.

With respect to recursion, the recursing method has a conditional that stops the recursion at the start of the method, which is best illustrated in Python:

Recursive
Python:
def factorial(n):

if n<1:      ## stops recursion and blocks negative n values
        return 1

return n*factorial(n-1)

Last edited:
Likes Swamp Thing

1. How does a loop with variable nesting depth work?

A loop with variable nesting depth is a type of loop that allows for multiple levels of nested loops within the same code structure. This means that there can be loops within loops, and the number of levels can change depending on the input or conditions of the code.

2. What is the purpose of using a loop with variable nesting depth?

The purpose of using this type of loop is to create more flexible and dynamic code. It allows for different levels of repetition and iteration depending on the needs of the code, making it more versatile and efficient.

3. How does a loop with variable count at each level function?

A loop with variable count at each level means that the number of iterations or repetitions at each level of the loop can vary based on the input or conditions of the code. This allows for more precise control over the execution of the loop.

4. Can a loop with variable nesting depth and count be used in any programming language?

Yes, this type of loop can be implemented in most programming languages that support nested loops and variable control structures. However, the specific syntax and implementation may vary slightly between languages.

5. What are the advantages of using a loop with variable nesting depth and count?

The main advantage of using this type of loop is its flexibility and adaptability. It allows for more complex and dynamic code structures, making it easier to handle varying input or conditions. It also helps to reduce the amount of repetitive code, making the code more efficient and easier to maintain.