Lorentz attractors and fractals

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of self-similarity and scale invariance in fractals, specifically in the plots of Lorenz attractors. The article referenced in the conversation explains how zooming in on different points of the attractor reveals more and more orbits, resembling a pile of sticks. The conversation concludes with a clarification on the meaning of zooming in on a stick.
mnb96
Hello,
as far as I know a "fractal", by definition should manifest self-similarity or at least statistical self-similarity. This usually takes the form of scale invariance.
Can anyone point out where is the self-similarity in the plots of Lorentz attractors?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Viswanath, D. (2004) The fractal property of the Lorenz attractor. Physica D, 190: 115–128.

http://www.math.lsa.umich.edu/~divakar/papers/Viswanath2004.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
...I still have troubles understanding where is the self-similarity, especially the scale-invariance.
I understand that "zooming" into one point will reveal more and more orbits (infinitely many). Still I don´t see how that is similar to the whole.

Referring to the article you mentioned: where is the resemblance of the plots in figure 2 (a part) with the plot in figure 1 (the whole) ?

Any hint?

Last edited:
mnb96 said:
...I still have troubles understanding where is the self-similarity, especially the scale-invariance.
I understand that "zooming" into one point will reveal more and more orbits (infinitely many). Still I don´t see how that is similar to the whole.

Referring to the article you mentioned: where is the resemblance of the plots in figure 2 (a part) with the plot in figure 1 (the whole) ?

Any hint?

You zoom in, you see a pile of sticks. But if you zoom in on each of those piles of sticks, they're piles of sticks... but each of those piles of sticks are piles of sticks.

You can't see the whole orbit at once because the semimajor axis (approximating it as an oval) is huge compared to the thickness of the "sticks", so we're forced to look at little sections of the orbits, that cuts off at each end, making it look like... well, a pile of sticks.

Thanks.
Now it is clear.

I meant that you zoom in on a stick and it's really a bunch of sticks, them you zoom in one of those sticks and it's really a bunch, etc. But hopefully you saw past my redundancy.

Yes. don´t worry. It was pretty clear to me that you meant to zoom in on one "stick". The explanation was clear.

1. What is a Lorentz attractor?

A Lorentz attractor is a type of chaotic system that was discovered by mathematician Edward Lorentz. It is a set of differential equations that describe the motion of a particle in a three-dimensional space. The solutions to these equations produce a complex and unpredictable pattern of points known as the attractor.

2. How are Lorentz attractors related to chaos theory?

Lorentz attractors are a fundamental example of chaos theory, which studies the behavior of nonlinear systems. The equations that describe a Lorentz attractor exhibit sensitive dependence on initial conditions, meaning that a small change in the starting values can result in vastly different outcomes. This is a key characteristic of chaotic systems.

3. What are fractals and how are they related to Lorentz attractors?

Fractals are geometric shapes that have self-similarity at different scales. They are created by repeating a simple pattern or equation over and over again. Lorentz attractors are often considered fractals because they exhibit self-similarity in their complex, chaotic patterns. This means that as you zoom in on certain sections of the attractor, you will see the same patterns repeating at a smaller scale.

4. How are Lorentz attractors used in real-world applications?

Lorentz attractors and fractals have been used in various fields such as meteorology, economics, and biology. They have also been used in computer graphics and animation to create realistic and visually stunning images. In addition, the concepts of chaos theory and fractals have been applied in the development of computer algorithms and artificial intelligence.

5. Can anyone understand Lorentz attractors and fractals, or is it only for mathematicians?

While the mathematics behind Lorentz attractors and fractals can be complex, anyone can understand the basic concepts with some effort and study. There are many accessible resources available, including books, videos, and online tutorials, that can help individuals learn about these fascinating topics. Additionally, there are many real-world examples and practical applications that can make the concepts more relatable and understandable for non-mathematicians.