Why does physical space have to be three-dimensional?

In summary: After all the Lambda-CDM will not be satistactory until we find out what dark matter and energy are.Certainly not, and that's why we're working so hard to find both!Certainly not, and that's why we're working so hard to find both!
Carlos L. Janer
There's a question that's been in my mind for quite a while but I cannot figure out what the answer is. I't probably an ill posed question but I will ask it anyway:

1.- Do we know what the dark-matter statistical distribution in our Universe is (at large scales)?

2.- In case we do, could this distribution function be self-similar?

3.- If it is, would not space be better described by a fractal?

Space news on Phys.org
The concept of dimension is actually quite complicated, but a simplified explanation is that a three-dimensional space means that there are three coordinates necessary to specify a point within that space. These coordinates are commonly labeled X, Y, and Z when talking about Cartesian Coordinates.

Geometrically, a three-dimensional space has the property that you can have at most 3 lines of which each one is perpendicular to the other two.

Carlos L. Janer said:
1.- Do we know what the dark-matter statistical distribution in our Universe is (at large scales)?

Approximately homogeneous at the largest scales, but at smaller scales there is significant inhomogeneity.

Carlos L. Janer said:
2.- In case we do, could this distribution function be self-similar?

3.- If it is, would not space be better described by a fractal?

No, because you're describing the distribution of dark matter within space, not of space itself.

Drakkith said:
No, because you're describing the distribution of dark matter within space, not of space itself.

What's space itself? It is OK to state that energy-momentum defines the geometry of space-time but it's not OK to question yourself if it could define its topology?

Last edited:
Carlos L. Janer said:
What's space itself? It is OK to state that energy-momentum defines the geometry of space-time but it's not OK to question yourself if it could define its topology?

Perhaps I've misunderstood you. What do you mean when you ask if space could be described by a fractal?

Drakkith said:
Perhaps I've misunderstood you. What do you mean when you ask if space could be described by a fractal?

If I knew exactly what I mean I'd probable not need to ask anything at all but I'll try,

(Almost) everyone thinks that the SM of particle physics is just a phenomenological low energy theory that breaks at a sufficiently high energies. I've been wondering for a time if something similar could happen with GR. It works fine in our solar system (where gravitational interactions are strong) and, probably, in our galaxy, where you clearly need 4 parameters to describe an event. However, galaxies and galaxy clusters and superclusters are not randomly distributed in space-time. Their distribution seems to fractal. Can we really make such a wild extrapolation from what we know to be locally true? After all the Lambda-CDM will not be satistactory until we find out what dark matter and energy are. Could it be that our Universe is, in terms of gravitation, locally 3-d and less that 3-d at a much larger scales?

I am perfectly aware of how this sounds, but I cannot keep the idea out of my mind.

Carlos L. Janer said:
Their distribution seems to fractal.
How so?.
Can you provide examples?

rootone said:
How so?.
rootone said:
Can you provide examples?

So, is this the time when I start posting refererences and you kep telling that they are fringe theories and, therefore, not accepted in this forum? Because if it is, I think I'll pass.

If they will tell you that your sources are not accepted on this forum, then you should give up with that sources, not with discussions... Rules concerning sources are the way they are for a reason. You can't you have a productive scientific discussion when you assume things about "reality" that are not necessarily true.

Carlos L. Janer said:
(Almost) everyone thinks that the SM of particle physics is just a phenomenological low energy theory that breaks at a sufficiently high energies. I've been wondering for a time if something similar could happen with GR.

So are lots of other people--all of the physicists who are working on quantum gravity theories. There's plenty of literature available, not to mention plenty of threads here on PF.

Carlos L. Janer said:
However, galaxies and galaxy clusters and superclusters are not randomly distributed in space-time. Their distribution seems to fractal.

This has nothing to do with whether spacetime itself is really a classical 4-dimensional manifold, or whether that is only an approximation that breaks down at high energies. "High energies" here means very small distance scales--on the order of the Planck length, according to our best current guess. You are looking at the opposite extreme, very large distance scales. There is no reason whatever to suppose that our classical model of spacetime itself breaks down on those scales, and plenty of evidence that it doesn't (for one thing, our cosmological models of the universe would not make such good predictions about things like the relative abundance of light elements if their assumptions about classical 4-d spacetime were wrong). The fact that we don't have a very good understanding of why particular pieces of matter are distributed the way they are in space is a separate question.

Carlos L. Janer said:
Could it be that our Universe is, in terms of gravitation, locally 3-d and less that 3-d at a much larger scales?

No. See above.

Also, if you look at the literature on quantum gravity, you will find that the only proposals along the lines of the actual number of dimensions being different from 4 involve the number being larger, not smaller (as in the string theory models with 10 or 11 or 26 dimensions).

Carlos L. Janer said:
is this the time when I start posting refererences and you kep telling that they are fringe theories and, therefore, not accepted in this forum?

That would depend on what references you post. But my sense from your posts so far is that you are not familiar with the current literature, so your best bet is probably to get familiar with it.

This is really the kind of discussion I don't want to get involved in. I'm outta here.

Carlos L. Janer said:
So, is this the time when I start posting refererences and you kep telling that they are fringe theories and, therefore, not accepted in this forum? Because if it is, I think I'll pass.
I don't know if your idea relates to a fringe theory or not, however "seems to fractal" isn't any kind of theory.
I was asking for clarification of what it is that seems to be fractal in character.

Carlos L. Janer said:
This is really the kind of discussion I don't want to get involved in.

So you're not interested in science then. Sorry, but that's how it works.

Carlos L. Janer said:
This is really the kind of discussion I don't want to get involved in. I'm outta here.

Fine. Thread closed.

1. Why is physical space three-dimensional?

The concept of three-dimensional space refers to the three dimensions of length, width, and height that are used to describe the physical world. This is a fundamental property of our universe and is based on the laws of physics. It is necessary for objects to have three dimensions in order to exist and interact with each other in a tangible way.

2. Why can't physical space have more or less than three dimensions?

The laws of physics, such as gravity, electromagnetism, and the strong and weak nuclear forces, are all based on three-dimensional space. If physical space had more or less dimensions, these laws would not hold true, and the universe as we know it would not exist. Additionally, our human perception and ability to navigate and interact with the world is based on three dimensions, making it difficult for us to even imagine a world with more or less dimensions.

3. Is it possible for there to be alternative dimensions in physical space?

While the concept of alternate dimensions may exist in theoretical physics, there is currently no evidence to suggest that they exist in our physical world. The three dimensions of length, width, and height are the only ones that are necessary for objects to exist and interact with each other.

4. How do we know that physical space is three-dimensional?

Our understanding of the world is based on observation and experimentation. Through scientific research and advancements in technology, we have been able to confirm that physical space is three-dimensional. We can also see the effects of three-dimensional space in everyday life, such as objects having length, width, and height, and the ability to move and interact in different directions.

5. Can we ever fully understand the concept of three-dimensional space?

As humans, our understanding of the world is limited by our perception and the tools we have available. While we have a good understanding of three-dimensional space, it is possible that there are aspects of it that we may never fully comprehend. However, through continued scientific research and exploration, we can continue to expand our understanding and knowledge of the universe and its dimensions.