Lorentz boosts and rotation matrices

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of a 4x4 matrix, L_b(a), which represents a pure boost in the direction that makes an angle a with the x-axis in the xy plane. It is explained that this matrix can be found using the equation L_b(a) = L_r(-a)*L_b(0)*L_r(a), where L_r(a) is the matrix that rotates the xy plane through the angle a and L_b(0) is the standard boost along the x-axis. The conversation then delves into a discussion about the differences between a pure boost and a boost followed by a rotation, and whether the latter results in Thomas precession.
gnulinger
I also posted this in the homework help for introductory physics, but it wasn't getting any responses, so I guess it's slightly more advanced.

Homework Statement

Let L_b(a) denote the 4x4 matrix that gives a pure boost in the direction that makes an angle a with the x-axis in the xy plane. Explain why this can be found as L_b(a) = L_r(-a)*L_b(0)*L_r(a), where L_r(a) denotes the matrix that rotates the xy plane through the angle a and L_b(0) is the standard boost along the x axis.

Homework Equations

L_r(a) = {{cos(a), sin(a), 0 , 0}, {-sin(a), cos(a), 0, 0}, {0, 0, 1, 0}, {0, 0, 0, 1}}
L_r(-a) = {{cos(a), -sin(a), 0 , 0}, {sin(a), cos(a), 0, 0}, {0, 0, 1, 0}, {0, 0, 0, 1}}
L_b(0) = {{gamma, 0, 0, -gamma*beta}, {0, 1, 0, 0}, {0, 0, 1, 0}, {-gamma*beta, 0, 0, gamma}}

The Attempt at a Solution

Normally, to get a boost-plus-rotation we use L_b(a) = L_r(a)*L_b(0)
If L_b(a) = L_r(-a)*L_b(0)*L_r(a), then it should be true that
L_r(-a)*L_b(0)*L_r(a) = L_r(a)*L_b(0)

I tried to show that this last equation was true by going through the long matrix calculations, but I get that the two sides of the equation are not equal. I can't find any errors in my arithmetic, so I'm assuming there's something wrong with my reasoning.

Physics news on Phys.org
L(-a)B(0)L(a) tells you to start with a vector in the xy plane rotate it so that it is along the x-axis boost it and then rotate it back to its original angle in the xy plane. L(a)B(0) tells you to start with a vector along the x-axis boost and then rotate. So defining v to be a vector in the xy plane and L(a)v the corresponding vector along the x axis. Then the boosted v along the x-axis is L(a)B(v)v = B(0)L(a)v

Thanks for the reply. I don't follow the last part of your post though. If v is a vector in the xy plane, wouldn't L(-a)v be the corresponding vector along the x axis? I also don't understand how L(a)B(v)v = B(0)L(a)v.

it is L(a)v since that is what you gave me anyway it doesn't matter as long as we have opposites in L(-a)B(0)L(a). B(v)v = v' is a boosted vector along v which we can rotate to get a vector along x i.e L(a)v'. However this is the same as getting the original vector v rotating it so that it is along the x-axis and then boosting i.e. B(0)L(a)v

I guess that makes sense, but my linear algebra skills aren't so great. I thought that you would normally get the rotated and boosted vector B(a) by L(a)*B(0).

I think my confusion is coming from the difference between a pure boost and something like L(a)*B(0). What is the difference?

Is it that when you have L(a)*B(0), or a boost followed by a rotation, that you get Thomas precession, and the pure boost avoids that?

Related to Lorentz boosts and rotation matrices

1. What are Lorentz boosts and rotation matrices?

Lorentz boosts and rotation matrices are mathematical tools used in the field of physics to describe the effects of special relativity on the measurements of space and time. They help to transform coordinates and velocities between different reference frames.

2. How do Lorentz boosts and rotation matrices relate to special relativity?

Lorentz boosts and rotation matrices are a fundamental part of special relativity. They allow us to understand how measurements of space and time change when viewed from different reference frames, and are essential for accurately describing the behavior of objects moving at high speeds.

3. How are Lorentz boosts and rotation matrices used in experiments?

Lorentz boosts and rotation matrices are used in experiments that study the behavior of particles moving at high speeds, such as in particle accelerators. They are also used in experiments that test the predictions of special relativity, such as the famous Michelson-Morley experiment.

4. Are Lorentz boosts and rotation matrices the same thing?

No, Lorentz boosts and rotation matrices are not the same thing. Lorentz boosts are a type of transformation that describes how coordinates and velocities change between reference frames moving at a constant velocity relative to each other. Rotation matrices, on the other hand, describe how coordinates and vectors change under rotations in space.

5. Can Lorentz boosts and rotation matrices be applied to any reference frame?

Yes, Lorentz boosts and rotation matrices can be applied to any reference frame, as long as the relative motion between the frames is known. This allows us to accurately describe the behavior of objects moving at high speeds, regardless of the observer's frame of reference.