Lorentz Contraction & Twin Paradox

In summary: If you refer to Lorentz and FitzGerald, you are referring to something that is not relativity. In summary, Lorentz had the maths to set up the twin paradox, but not the conceptual framework in which to think of it.
Mickey1
TL;DR Summary
Does Lorentz contraction point to the twin paradox
The twin paradox is connected to the special relativity but I wonder simply if one might construct the paradox (or something very similar) based on the Lorentz’ (and FitzGerald) work alone?

Several ingredients in the paradox, time dilation and Lorentz contraction, are often mentioned with reference only to Lorentz without any mention of relativity.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mickey1 said:
The twin paradox is connected to the special relativity but I wonder simply if one might construct the paradox (or something very similar) based on the Lorentz’ (and FitzGerald) work alone?
I don't know.
Mickey1 said:
Several ingredients in the paradox, time dilation and Lorentz contraction, are often mentioned with reference only to Lorentz without any mention of relativity.

In its simplest form, the twin paradox is the analogy in Minkowski geometry of the triangle inequality in Euclidean geometry. More generally, the proper time that elapses along the worldline of an object is equivalent to the invariant spacetime distance along the worldline.

Likes Dale, malawi_glenn, topsquark and 1 other person
Mickey1 said:
Well, length contraction alone won't get you there (and I don't think a theory with length contraction alone would really be self-consistent). Lorentz actually derived the Lorentz transforms, which are the mathematical core of relativity, before Einstein. As far as I know, though, he believed them to be just a mathematical fix for Maxwell's equations, so something that was only relevant to electromagnetic waves and fields and the like, until shown otherwise by Einstein.

So Lorentz had the maths to set up the twin paradox, but not the conceptual framework in which to think of it. So in answer to your question I'd say "maybe, it kinda depends what you think of as Lorentz's work".

Last edited:
Likes topsquark and PeroK
Mickey1 said:

If you refer to Lorentz contraction, you are referring to something that's a part of relativity. Likewise for time dilation.

Likes topsquark

What is Lorentz Contraction?

Lorentz Contraction, also known as Length Contraction, is a phenomenon in which an object's length appears to decrease when it is moving at high speeds relative to an observer. This is a consequence of Einstein's Theory of Special Relativity.

How does Lorentz Contraction work?

Lorentz Contraction occurs because the speed of light is constant for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. As an object moves faster and faster, its length in the direction of motion appears to decrease from the perspective of an outside observer.

What is the Twin Paradox?

The Twin Paradox is a thought experiment that explores the consequences of Special Relativity. It involves a pair of twins, one of whom stays on Earth while the other travels through space at high speeds. When the traveling twin returns, they have aged less than their twin who stayed on Earth, leading to a paradox.

How is the Twin Paradox resolved?

The Twin Paradox is resolved by understanding that the traveling twin experiences time dilation, which means that time moves slower for them due to their high speed. When the traveling twin returns, they have experienced less time than their twin on Earth, leading to the difference in their ages.

What are the real-life implications of Lorentz Contraction and the Twin Paradox?

Lorentz Contraction and the Twin Paradox have been confirmed through numerous experiments and have important implications for our understanding of the universe. They help explain phenomena such as the constancy of the speed of light, the behavior of particles at high speeds, and the concept of time dilation. They also have practical applications in fields such as space travel and GPS technology.