Lorentz invariance of [itex] E_p \delta ({\bf p}- {\bf q}) [/itex]

In summary, the expression δ(p2 - m2) is not Lorentz invariant. Only the product of δ3(k - k0) and δ4(p - p0) is.
LayMuon
Can anybody help me with the proof that [itex] E_p \delta ({\bf p}- {\bf q}) [/itex] is a Lorentz invariant object?

I did a boost along z axes and used the formula [tex] \delta (f(x)) = \frac{\delta(x-x_0)}{|f'(x_0)|} [/tex] and the factor in front of the delta function indeed is invariant but within the function I have something like this:

[tex] E_p \delta (p_z -(v(E_q-E_p)+q_z)) [/tex]

but not [itex] E_p \delta (p_z- q_z)[/itex]

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Nobody? :(

What makes you think it's Lorentz invariant?

Because in QFT we specifically choose a normalization in such a way as to get scalar product invariant.

Ok, now I understand! To distinguish between 3-dimensional and 4-dimensional quantities, let me call the energy-momentum 4-vector p, with components (E, k) and invariant norm p2 = m2.

To begin with, the 4-dimensional delta function δ4(p - p0) is clearly Lorentz invariant. Write this as δ(E - E0) δ3(k - k0). And now change variables on the first factor. In place of the variable E, I want to use the variable p2. Well, one can show that δ(p2 - m2) = (1/2E0) δ(E - E0). [There's a second term with δ(E + E0) if you want to include the negative energies.]

This gives us δ4(p - p0) = 2E0 δ(p2 - m2) δ3(k - k0), which is Lorentz invariant.

Thank you, I got it. I made a mistake in calculation.

That's good. By the way, the expression as you originally gave it is not Lorentz invariant. Only if you include the other delta function, δ(p2 - m2). And the variable you choose to replace E makes all the difference too. If you use some other f(E), you'll get something else instead of 2E0 as the factor in front.

But [itex] \delta (p^2-m^2) [/itex] is Lorentz invariant.

Consider the domain where these functions are nonzero. δ4(p - p0) is nonzero at just a single point - of course that's a Lorentz invariant domain. And δ(p2 - m2) is nonzero on a hyperboloid - that's Lorentz invariant too.

But δ3(k - k0) is nonzero on an entire line - and that's not Lorentz invariant! It singles out a rest frame. And putting E0 in front of it doesn't change the fact.

It's only when you multiply the two of them together, δ(p2 - m2) and δ3(k - k0) -- then the product is nonzero on the intersection of the line and the hyperboloid, namely a single point again -- that you get back to a Lorentz invariant domain.

Related to Lorentz invariance of [itex] E_p \delta ({\bf p}- {\bf q}) [/itex]

What is the meaning of Lorentz invariance of [itex] E_p \delta ({\bf p}- {\bf q}) [/itex]?

Lorentz invariance refers to the property that the mathematical expression [itex] E_p \delta ({\bf p}- {\bf q}) [/itex] remains unchanged under Lorentz transformations, which are mathematical operations that describe how measurements of space and time change between different reference frames moving at constant velocities relative to each other. This means that the value of [itex] E_p \delta ({\bf p}- {\bf q}) [/itex] will be the same regardless of the reference frame in which it is measured.

What is the significance of Lorentz invariance in physics?

Lorentz invariance is a fundamental principle in physics and is closely related to the principles of special relativity. It implies that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers in different inertial reference frames, regardless of their relative velocities. This has important implications for our understanding of space, time, and the behavior of matter and energy.

How is Lorentz invariance related to the conservation of energy and momentum?

Lorentz invariance is closely linked to the conservation of energy and momentum, which are fundamental principles in physics. The expression [itex] E_p \delta ({\bf p}- {\bf q}) [/itex] represents the energy of a particle with momentum [itex] {\bf p} [/itex] in a given reference frame. The fact that this expression is Lorentz invariant means that energy is conserved across different reference frames, and therefore momentum must also be conserved.

Can Lorentz invariance be violated?

In classical physics, Lorentz invariance is considered a fundamental symmetry and is believed to hold true in all physical systems. However, some theories, such as quantum gravity, suggest that Lorentz invariance may break down at very small scales. Experimental tests have been conducted to search for violations of Lorentz invariance, but no conclusive evidence has been found thus far.

How does the Lorentz invariance of [itex] E_p \delta ({\bf p}- {\bf q}) [/itex] relate to the Lorentz invariance of other physical quantities?

The Lorentz invariance of [itex] E_p \delta ({\bf p}- {\bf q}) [/itex] is related to the Lorentz invariance of other physical quantities through the principles of special relativity. For example, the energy and momentum of a particle are related to each other through the famous equation [itex] E^2 = (mc^2)^2 + (pc)^2 [/itex], which is Lorentz invariant. This means that if [itex] E [/itex] and [itex] p [/itex] are Lorentz invariant, then [itex] m [/itex] must also be Lorentz invariant.