Lorentz Transf. of Complex Null Tetrads: Formula (3.14-17)

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of formulae (3.14), (3.15), and (3.17) for a complex null tetrad. The speaker also mentions that their wife has pulled them away to watch a show, delaying their elaboration on (3.17). They then proceed to show that (3.17) defines a boost, with the rapidity and speed denoted by ##w## and ##v = \tanh w##, respectively. The conversation is from the second edition of "Exact Solutions of Einstein's Field Equations" by Stephani et al.
ergospherical
For a complex null tetrad ##(\boldsymbol{m}, \overline{\boldsymbol{m}}, \boldsymbol{l}, \boldsymbol{k})##, how to arrive at formulae (3.14), (3.15) and (3.17)? The equation (3.16) is clear as is. (I checked already that they work i.e. that ##\boldsymbol{e}_a' \cdot \boldsymbol{e}_b' = 2m'_{(a} \overline{m}'_{b)} -2k'_{(a} l'_{b)}##.)

1640199241420.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ergospherical said:
formulae (3.14), (3.15) and (3.17)?
What reference are these from?

PeterDonis said:
What reference are these from?
These are from the second edition of "Exact Solutions of Einstein's Field Equations" by Stephani et al. I have have an elaboration on (3.17), which I have started to type in, but my wife is pulling me away to watch someone get murdered ... er, to stream a show, so it will be a couple of hours before I get back to it.

• Haha
Likes vanhees71, ergospherical and martinbn
I have looked at (3.17). I suppose that it is not enough to show that
$$2m'_{(a} \overline{m}'_{b)} -2k'_{(a} l'_{b)} = 2m_{(a} \overline{m}_{b)} -2k_{(a} l_{b)},$$
as this is obvious for transformation (3.17).

I will proceed in a pedestrian way, i.e., I will show that (3.17) defines a boost. Inverting (3.12) gives (using notation that I dislike)
$$\begin{align}
\boldsymbol{E}_4 &= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left( \boldsymbol{k} +\boldsymbol{l} \right) \\
\boldsymbol{E}_3 &= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left( \boldsymbol{k} - \boldsymbol{l} \right) .
\end{align}$$
Now define
$$\begin{align}
\boldsymbol{E}'_4 &= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left( \boldsymbol{k}' +\boldsymbol{l}' \right) \\
\boldsymbol{E}'_3 &= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left( \boldsymbol{k}' - \boldsymbol{l}' \right) ,
\end{align}$$
with ##\boldsymbol{k}'## and ##\boldsymbol{l}'## given by (3.17). Then, by (3.17),
$$\begin{align}
\boldsymbol{E}'_4 &= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left( A\boldsymbol{k} +A^{-1} \boldsymbol{l} \right) \\
&= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left[ \frac{A}{\sqrt{2}} \left( \boldsymbol{E}_4 + \boldsymbol{E_3} \right) + \frac{A^{-1}}{\sqrt{2}} \left( \boldsymbol{E}_4 - \boldsymbol{E_3} \right) \right] \\
&= \frac{1}{2} \left( A + A^{-1} \right) \boldsymbol{E}_4 +\frac{1}{2} \left( A - A^{-1} \right) \boldsymbol{E}_3
\end{align}$$
Since
$$\left[ \frac{1}{2} \left( A + A^{-1} \right) \right]^2 - \left[ \frac{1}{2} \left( A - A^{-1} \right) \right]^2 = 1, $$
we can set
$$\begin{align}
\cosh w &= \frac{1}{2} \left( A + A^{-1} \right) \\
\sinh w &= \frac{1}{2} \left( A - A^{-1} \right)
\end{align}$$
Something similar holds for ##\boldsymbol{E}_3##, so we have a boost with rapidity ##w## and speed ##v = \tanh w##.

Likes ergospherical

1. What is the Lorentz Transformation of Complex Null Tetrads?

The Lorentz Transformation of Complex Null Tetrads is a mathematical formula used in the study of special relativity to describe the transformation of coordinates and velocities between two inertial reference frames. It is based on the concept of four-dimensional spacetime, where time is considered as a fourth dimension.

2. What is the significance of Formula (3.14-17) in the Lorentz Transformation of Complex Null Tetrads?

Formula (3.14-17) is a set of equations that represent the transformation of coordinates and velocities in the complex null tetrad formalism. It is used to calculate the transformation of a vector or tensor from one reference frame to another, taking into account the effects of special relativity.

3. How is the Lorentz Transformation of Complex Null Tetrads different from the Lorentz Transformation in standard relativity?

The Lorentz Transformation of Complex Null Tetrads is a more general and powerful mathematical tool than the standard Lorentz Transformation. It is based on a four-dimensional formalism and can handle more complex scenarios, such as accelerated frames of reference and curved spacetime.

4. What are the applications of the Lorentz Transformation of Complex Null Tetrads?

The Lorentz Transformation of Complex Null Tetrads has various applications in the field of theoretical physics, particularly in the study of special relativity and general relativity. It is used to analyze the behavior of particles and fields in different reference frames and to understand the effects of gravity on spacetime.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of the Lorentz Transformation of Complex Null Tetrads?

Like any mathematical tool, the Lorentz Transformation of Complex Null Tetrads has its limitations. It is based on the assumptions of special relativity and cannot be applied to scenarios where general relativity is needed. Additionally, it may become more complex and difficult to use in situations involving non-inertial frames of reference or strong gravitational fields.