Lorentz Transform on Covariant Vector (Lahiri QFT 1.5)

In summary, the given conversation discusses a problem in which it is shown that ##x_\mu \rightarrow y_\mu = \Lambda_\mu{}^\nu x_\nu## by manipulating the equation ##g_{\rho\sigma} = g_{\mu\nu}\Lambda^\mu{}_\rho\Lambda^\nu{}_\sigma## and using the relation ##\Lambda_{\mu}{}^\nu =g_{\mu\rho}\Lambda^\rho{}_\sigma g^{\sigma\nu}##. The solution involves operating on both sides of the equation by ##\Lambda^\rho{}_\lambda## and rearranging the terms.
BucketOfFish

Homework Statement

Given that ##x_\mu x^\mu = y_\mu y^\mu## under a Lorentz transform (##x^\mu \rightarrow y^\mu##, ##x_\mu \rightarrow y_\mu##), and that ##x^\mu \rightarrow y^\mu = \Lambda^\mu{}_\nu x^\nu##, show that ##x_\mu \rightarrow y_\mu = \Lambda_\mu{}^\nu x_\nu##.

Homework Equations

$$g_{\rho\sigma} = g_{\mu\nu}\Lambda^\mu{}_\rho\Lambda^\nu{}_\sigma$$

The Attempt at a Solution

So this isn't actually a homework problem, it's just an exercise in Lahiri and Pal that I was looking at. Seems like this thing would be really simple, but I can't work it out for some reason.

I get, for example, to the point where ##x_\mu x^\mu = g_{\mu\nu}x^\mu x^\nu = g_{\rho\sigma}\Lambda^\rho{}_\mu\Lambda^\sigma{}_\nu x^\mu x^\nu = y_\mu y^\mu##. Then, switching labels and using the definition of ##y^\mu##, we get that ##y_\mu = g_{\rho\mu}\Lambda^\mu{}_\nu x^\nu##. But I go in circles from there.

Part of my confusion is that I don't really know what the relation is between ##\Lambda_\mu{}^\nu## and ##\Lambda^\mu{}_\nu##. Seems like I'm missing something really obvious. Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
BucketOfFish said:

Homework Statement

Given that ##x_\mu x^\mu = y_\mu y^\mu## under a Lorentz transform (##x^\mu \rightarrow y^\mu##, ##x_\mu \rightarrow y_\mu##), and that ##x^\mu \rightarrow y^\mu = \Lambda^\mu{}_\nu x^\nu##, show that ##x_\mu \rightarrow y_\mu = \Lambda_\mu{}^\nu x_\nu##.

Homework Equations

$$g_{\rho\sigma} = g_{\mu\nu}\Lambda^\mu{}_\rho\Lambda^\nu{}_\sigma$$

The Attempt at a Solution

So this isn't actually a homework problem, it's just an exercise in Lahiri and Pal that I was looking at. Seems like this thing would be really simple, but I can't work it out for some reason.

I get, for example, to the point where ##x_\mu x^\mu = g_{\mu\nu}x^\mu x^\nu = g_{\rho\sigma}\Lambda^\rho{}_\mu\Lambda^\sigma{}_\nu x^\mu x^\nu = y_\mu y^\mu##. Then, switching labels and using the definition of ##y^\mu##, we get that ##y_\mu = g_{\rho\mu}\Lambda^\mu{}_\nu x^\nu##. But I go in circles from there.

Part of my confusion is that I don't really know what the relation is between ##\Lambda_\mu{}^\nu## and ##\Lambda^\mu{}_\nu##. Seems like I'm missing something really obvious. Can anyone help?

[edit]
I see that you were actually sort of close, except that you made a slight mistake.

[itex]y_\mu = g_{\rho\mu}\Lambda^\mu{}_\nu x^\nu[/itex]

should be
[itex]y_\rho = g_{\rho\mu}\Lambda^\mu{}_\nu x^\nu[/itex]

At this point, you can operate on both sides by [itex]\Lambda^\rho{}_\lambda[/itex].

Last edited:
BucketOfFish said:
Part of my confusion is that I don't really know what the relation is between ##\Lambda_\mu{}^\nu## and ##\Lambda^\mu{}_\nu##.
$$\Lambda_{\mu}{}^\nu =g_{\mu\rho}\Lambda^\rho{}_\sigma g^{\sigma\nu}.$$ What does this tell you about a combo like ##\Lambda_\rho{}^\mu \Lambda^\rho{}_\nu##?

You may also find my post in this thread useful: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/einstein-notation-notes.770129/#post-4847943

1. What is the Lorentz Transform on Covariant Vector?

The Lorentz Transform on Covariant Vector is a mathematical tool used in special relativity to describe the transformation of a vector under a change in reference frame. It takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction in different inertial frames of reference.

2. How is the Lorentz Transform on Covariant Vector derived?

The Lorentz Transform on Covariant Vector can be derived from the Lorentz Transformation matrix, which describes the transformation of coordinates between two reference frames in special relativity. By applying this matrix to a vector, we can obtain the transformed vector in a different reference frame.

3. What are the properties of the Lorentz Transform on Covariant Vector?

The Lorentz Transform on Covariant Vector is a linear transformation, meaning that it preserves the rules of vector addition and scalar multiplication. It also satisfies the principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics should be the same in all inertial frames of reference.

4. How does the Lorentz Transform on Covariant Vector relate to the Lorentz Transform on Contravariant Vector?

The Lorentz Transform on Covariant Vector and the Lorentz Transform on Contravariant Vector are inverse transformations of each other. They describe the same physical phenomenon, but from different perspectives. The covariant transformation deals with vectors that are measured in the same direction as the reference frame's coordinates, while the contravariant transformation deals with vectors measured in the opposite direction.

5. What are some applications of the Lorentz Transform on Covariant Vector?

The Lorentz Transform on Covariant Vector is used in various areas of physics, including special relativity, particle physics, and electrodynamics. It is essential for understanding phenomena such as time dilation, length contraction, and the Lorentz force. It is also used in the development of theories such as quantum field theory and the standard model of particle physics.