Lorentz Transformation on Left & Right Chiral Spinors

In summary, the conversation discusses conflicting transformation rules for left and right chiral spinors in two different books, and the confusion over whether these differences are due to physics or convention. The speaker mentions that they have noticed the opposite transformation rules in equations 2.32, 2.73, and 2.74 in Patrick Labelle's book and Ryder's book. They also mention that both books use the same convention for the relative positioning of the chiral spinors in a 4 component spinor. The speaker ultimately agrees with Labelle's result and notes that Peskin&Schröder has a different sign convention for the infinitesimal transformation, which they view as mathematically equivalent.
Phys_Reason
I will start with a summary of my confusion: I came across seemingly contradictory transformation rules for left and right chiral spinor in 2 books, and am unable to understand what part is Physics and what part is convention. Or is it that one of the two books incorrectly writes the transformation rules?

In the following, I hope I have expressed my confusion in more detail and in a somewhat clear language, but please let me know if it is unclear:

I started reading Patrick Labelle's book on SUSY. But I noticed that, when in equation 2.32, Labelle's tranformation for the left and right chiral spinors are the opposite of what Ryder writes in equations 2.73 and 2.74. That is, what Ryder says is the tranformation rule for left chiral spinor is the transformation rule for Labelle's right chiral spinor, and vice versa.

As far as I can tell, both Labelle and Ryder use the same convention for relative positioning of the right and left chiral spinors in the whole 4 component spinor, i.e. - the upper two components make the right and the lower two components make the left chiral spinor.

I am unable to see how these two are equivalent, if they at all are products of different but equivalent conventions.

Physics news on Phys.org
In my own manuscript I agree with Labelle's result. Peskin&Schröder has the opposite sign for the entire infinitesimal transformation (that's just a sign convention and mathematically equivalent). I'd say that's 3:1 for Labelle :-).

What is a Lorentz Transformation?

A Lorentz Transformation is a mathematical equation used in physics to describe the relationship between space and time measurements in different reference frames. It is a fundamental concept in Einstein's theory of special relativity.

What are Left and Right Chiral Spinors?

Left and Right Chiral Spinors are two types of quantum mechanical particles that have different behavior under a Lorentz Transformation. Left Chiral Spinors are particles that only interact with the left-handed component of the electromagnetic field, while Right Chiral Spinors interact with the right-handed component.

How are Left and Right Chiral Spinors related to Lorentz Transformation?

Left and Right Chiral Spinors are related to Lorentz Transformation through the Dirac equation, which describes the behavior of particles that have both spin and mass. The Dirac equation includes the Lorentz Transformation as part of its mathematical formulation.

Why is it important to study Lorentz Transformation on Left and Right Chiral Spinors?

Studying the effects of Lorentz Transformation on Left and Right Chiral Spinors is important in understanding the behavior of particles at high speeds and in different reference frames. It also has practical applications in fields such as particle physics, astrophysics, and cosmology.

Are there any real-world examples of Lorentz Transformation on Left and Right Chiral Spinors?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of Lorentz Transformation on Left and Right Chiral Spinors. One example is the decay of a particle called a kaon, which can transform from a Left Chiral Spinor to a Right Chiral Spinor and back again. This phenomenon is observed in particle accelerators and is used to study the fundamental properties of particles.