Lossless transmission line question

The input impedance to the line is equal to the load impedance, so you have successfully solved the problem. In summary, a 50 Ω lossless transmission line of length 0.4λ terminated in a load of (40 + j30) Ω will have an input impedance equal to the load impedance. This is because the load and line have the same magnitude, resulting in a simplified equation for the input impedance.
James123

Homework Statement

A 50 Ω lossless transmission line of length 0.4λ is terminated in a load of (40 + j30) Ω. Determine, using the equation given below, the input impedance to the line.

Homework Equations

media-2f3c4-2f3c4045b1-a321-492c-99e4-2448c3fc32ce-2fimage-jpg.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Zo= 50
Zl= 50∠36.87 or 40+j30
βι= 144° (this is known due to a previous question)

Zin= 50 x ((50∠36.87)*cos144°) + (j50*sin144°)/(50*cos144°) + ((j50∠36.87)*sin144°

=50 x (-40.5∠36.87 + j29.4)/(-40.5 + j29.4∠36.87)

Here I convert to rectangular and get:

=50 x ((-32.4 - j24.3) + j29.4))/(40.5 + (j23.52 + 17.64)

=50 x (-32.4 + j5.1)/(-22.86 + 23.52)

=50 x (0.8+j0.6) = 40 +j30 Ω

This question has been done on other threads before but I couldn't make sense of them.

Can anyone tell me why I've arrived back at the Load impedance? and where am I supposed to go from here?

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks!

Attachments

• media-2f3c4-2f3c4045b1-a321-492c-99e4-2448c3fc32ce-2fimage-jpg.jpg
    media-2f3c4-2f3c4045b1-a321-492c-99e4-2448c3fc32ce-2fimage-jpg.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 1,206
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The 144° is from 0.4λ, correct?

Also, notice how the magnitude of the load and line compare. What would happen if they were different?

Hi, yes that's where I got the 144° from.

My heads honestly scrambled on this, if they were different there would have been something between the two on the line? i.e resistance?

James123 said:
where am I supposed to go from here?
? You already went where you were supposed to go, assuming your math is correct.

1. What is a lossless transmission line?

A lossless transmission line is a type of electrical cable that has no resistance, inductance, or capacitance. This means that when an electrical signal is sent through the cable, there will be no loss of energy or distortion of the signal.

2. How does a lossless transmission line work?

A lossless transmission line works by using a combination of conductors and insulators to create a path for the electrical signal to travel. The conductors provide a low resistance path for the signal, while the insulators prevent any energy from being lost through the surrounding environment.

3. What are the advantages of using a lossless transmission line?

The main advantage of using a lossless transmission line is that the signal can travel long distances without experiencing any loss or distortion. This is important for applications where the integrity of the signal is critical, such as in telecommunications or high-speed data transfer.

4. Are there any limitations to using a lossless transmission line?

While lossless transmission lines have many advantages, they are not suitable for all applications. One limitation is that they are more expensive to manufacture than traditional transmission lines. They also require careful design and installation to ensure that they remain truly lossless.

5. How is a lossless transmission line different from a lossy transmission line?

A lossy transmission line differs from a lossless one in that it allows for some energy to be lost or dissipated as the signal travels. This is due to the presence of resistance, inductance, or capacitance in the cable. While this may not be ideal for some applications, it can be beneficial for others, such as in power distribution where some energy loss is expected.