Lost Object Finder: Can I Track Down Active RFID Tags?

• Thread starter CrimpJiggler
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lost
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of using active RFID tags and a receiver to track down lost items. The speaker suggests using these devices for essential items and provides a link to a concept product that can be used for this purpose. However, it is noted that the product is not currently available.
CrimpJiggler
I can't find my bank card and its times like this when I think about a device that should be ubiquitous in this day and age. Could you not get a pack of cheap active RFID tags and use a receiver tuned into the particular frequencies emitted by them to tell you the objects distance from where you are now? Imagine how much easier that would make life. You put a tag on all your essential items such as car keys, wallets, bank cards etc. and write down the frequency for each tag then when you lose something, you tune your receiver into the frequency assigned to the item then track it down. Can you buy a device like this that you can use to track down active RFID tags?

Physics news on Phys.org
Now where did I put that darned RFID receiver?

Jimmy Snyder said:
Now where did I put that darned RFID receiver?
:rofl: Good one. Seriously though I hate loosing things and I do it all the time. Never anything major; I'm perfectly organised when it comes to important documents, my wallet etc but I'm always misplacing little things (right now I can't find my phone case for example). I wish I could RFID everything and then stick the receiver in my arm.

This looks cool: http://www.yankodesign.com/2011/11/03/key-control/"

Last edited by a moderator:
yenchin said:

I guarantee that if I use this I would never loose any stickered item ever again and instead would begin loosing everything else.

yenchin said:

That looks amazing actually. Unfortunately its only a concept and there's no actual product...

1. How does the Lost Object Finder use active RFID tags to track objects?

The Lost Object Finder system uses active RFID tags, which contain a battery and can transmit signals on their own, to track objects. These tags emit a unique signal that can be picked up by receivers placed throughout a designated area. The receivers then send this information to a central tracking system, which can pinpoint the location of the tagged object.

2. What is the range of the Lost Object Finder's active RFID tags?

The range of the Lost Object Finder's active RFID tags varies depending on the specific tag used, but typically ranges from 100 feet to 300 feet. Factors such as the environment and interference can also affect the range.

3. Can the Lost Object Finder track multiple objects at once?

Yes, the Lost Object Finder system is designed to track multiple objects at once. Each object must have its own active RFID tag, and the system can track and locate each object separately.

4. How accurate is the Lost Object Finder in locating objects?

The accuracy of the Lost Object Finder system depends on several factors, such as the type of active RFID tag used, the placement of receivers, and any interference in the tracking area. However, the system is typically able to pinpoint the location of an object within a few feet.

5. Can the Lost Object Finder be used to track objects in real-time?

Yes, the Lost Object Finder system can track objects in real-time. As the active RFID tags emit signals and the receivers pick up the signals, the central tracking system updates the location of the tagged objects in real-time. This allows for quick and accurate tracking of objects as they move throughout the designated area.