Low Air Compressor CFM Still Works?

In summary, there is a question about whether a 25 CFM air compressor can be run at 50 CFM for a short period of time. It is also asked if there is a way to determine how long the compressor will last at a higher CFM. The speaker mentions using isentropic equations to calculate the required tank pressure for a mach 2 outlet. There is also a discussion about the use of CFM as a measure of volume flow or mass flow. The possibility of using a large reservoir tank to release compressed air is suggested as a solution.
yangshi
Halfway through my thesis on a mach 2 ramjet, and I unfortunately realize that I need 50-72 CFM to test it. The only ACs I have are 2 CFM portable pancakes. Is it possible to run say a 25 CFM AC at 50 CFM for a short period of 10-60 seconds? Is there a quantitative way to find how long the AC will last above the required CFM?

I used isentropic equations to find that the required tank pressure is ~115 psi for mach 2 outlet, if that helps...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are you using "CFM" as a measure of volume flow or mass flow? According to http://www.truetex.com/aircompressors.htm the CFM rating of an air compressor is a measure of mass flow.

I don't know how you can run a typical air compressor at a variable CFM. I suppose the flow rate varies as you make it work against more and more pressure, but haven't seen any compressors where you can set the CFM to a specific value.

Can you get a large reservoir tank and slowly fill it with compressed air, then release the air suddenly?

Likes bsheikho

What is the minimum CFM required for an air compressor to still work?

The minimum CFM required for an air compressor to still work depends on the specific application and tools being used. In general, a minimum CFM of 5-6 is required for small tools like nail guns and paint sprayers, while larger tools like sanders and grinders may require a minimum of 10-12 CFM.

Can a low CFM air compressor still be used for heavy-duty applications?

It is not recommended to use a low CFM air compressor for heavy-duty applications. A low CFM air compressor may not be able to provide enough air pressure to power larger and more demanding tools, leading to decreased performance and potential damage to the tools. It is best to use an air compressor with a higher CFM rating for heavy-duty applications.

What causes an air compressor to have a low CFM?

There are several factors that can contribute to an air compressor having a low CFM, such as a clogged air filter, worn out or damaged compressor components, or using the wrong size air hose. It is important to regularly maintain and clean your air compressor to ensure it is functioning at its optimal CFM.

Can the CFM of an air compressor be increased?

In some cases, the CFM of an air compressor can be increased by upgrading certain components, such as the motor or air filter, or by using a larger air hose. However, it is important to note that the maximum CFM of an air compressor is determined by its design and cannot be significantly increased beyond this limit.

What are the consequences of using an air compressor with a low CFM?

Using an air compressor with a low CFM can result in decreased performance and efficiency, as well as potential damage to tools and equipment. It may also lead to increased wear and tear on the compressor, causing it to break down more frequently. Additionally, using a low CFM air compressor for heavy-duty applications may pose a safety risk due to the lack of sufficient air pressure.