Why Might a Low-Pass Filter Cause Distortion in a 600Hz Waveform?

In summary, when a waveform with peak to peak amplitude 2V and a frequency of 600Hz passes through a low-pass filter with a passband of 3.5kHz, some distortion may occur due to the shape of the voltage waveform. The specific forms of distortion may vary depending on the shape of the original waveform.
fran1942

Homework Statement

We have a waveform with peak to peak amplitude 2V and a frequency of 600Hz. If this signal is to pass through a low-pass filter with a passband of 3.5kHz, explain why some distortion may occur to the waveform when shown on an oscilloscope.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought there would be no distortion because the wave frequency is well below the passband of 3.5kHz.
Can someone please give me some ideas as to why some distortion may occur. Or at least point me in the right direction.
Thanks kindly for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
fran1942 said:

Homework Statement

We have a waveform with peak to peak amplitude 2V and a frequency of 600Hz. If this signal is to pass through a low-pass filter with a passband of 3.5kHz, explain why some distortion may occur to the waveform when shown on an oscilloscope.

I thought there would be no distortion because the wave frequency is well below the passband of 3.5kHz.
Can someone please give me some ideas as to why some distortion may occur. Or at least point me in the right direction.
What parameters are used to express sinusoid?

amplitude, angular frequency and phase ?

Sorry, I am pretty dense !
I still don't see how some distortion would occur in the case I stated.

Thanks for your persistence.

fran1942 said:
amplitude, angular frequency and phase ?

Sorry, I am pretty dense !
I still don't see how some distortion would occur in the case I stated.

Thanks for your persistence.

Can you write the transfer function for a low pass filter with a suitable cutoff frequency?
For a 600Hz input, what's the output amplitude and phase?

fran1942 said:
We have a waveform with peak to peak amplitude 2V and a frequency of 600Hz.
Are you meant to interpret this to be a sinewave?
If this signal is to pass through a low-pass filter with a passband of 3.5kHz, explain why some distortion may occur to the waveform when shown on an oscilloscope.
You might need to expand your notion of "distortion" to be able to answer this question.
What forms of "distortion" did you consider here?

fran1942 said:

Homework Statement

Hint: what is the shape of your voltage? Does it look like a sine wave, triangular, spiky, square ... ?

What is a low pass filter?

A low pass filter is an electronic circuit that allows low frequency signals to pass through while attenuating or blocking high frequency signals. It is commonly used to remove noise or unwanted high frequency components from a signal.

How does a low pass filter work?

A low pass filter works by using passive components such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors to create a frequency-dependent voltage divider. This causes high frequency components to be attenuated while low frequency components are able to pass through.

What are the applications of a low pass filter?

Low pass filters have a wide range of applications, including audio processing, power supplies, data communication, and image processing. They are also used in electrical engineering and physics experiments to study the behavior of signals.

What is the cutoff frequency of a low pass filter?

The cutoff frequency of a low pass filter is the frequency at which the filter begins to attenuate or block signals. It is typically measured in Hertz (Hz) and can be adjusted by changing the values of the passive components in the circuit.

What are the advantages of using a low pass filter?

Some advantages of using a low pass filter include reducing noise and interference in a signal, improving signal quality, and protecting sensitive components from high frequency signals. They can also be easily designed and implemented using basic electronic components.