Low Pass Filters and Laplace Transform

In summary, the ideal "brick-wall" lowpass filter is not realisable in practice due to the impossibility of varying the amplification in steps.
jendrix

Homework Statement

Given that r(t) = L^-1 (Inverse laplace) *H(S) and by making the link between the time-domain and frequency-domain responses of a network, explain in detail why the ideal “brick-wall” lowpass filter is not realisable in practice. [/B]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Is r(t) any input signal or is it a specific type? I am completely stumped by this.

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
jendrix said:
Is r(t) any input signal or is it a specific type?
In principle r(t) could be any type of periodical signal, but speaking of a "low pass filter", lower frequencies are meant. So r(t) must be regarded as a sum of its harmonics, ( Fourier transform ).

Having a transfer function, H(s), you must substitute the "s", so that it becomes H(jω). Then you asked to explain why the amplification in the filter cannot be changed in steps, varying ω.

jendrix said:
Is r(t) any input signal or is it a specific type?
From the context of your post, I'd assume H(s) is the transfer function of the brick-wall lowpass filter and so r(t) is its time-domain response (impulse response).

If you determine r(t), it should be pretty clear why it's unrealizable.

Hesch said:
In principle r(t) could be any type of periodical signal, but speaking of a "low pass filter", lower frequencies are meant. So r(t) must be regarded as a sum of its harmonics, ( Fourier transform ).

Having a transfer function, H(s), you must substitute the "s", so that it becomes H(jω). Then you asked to explain why the amplification in the filter cannot be changed in steps, varying ω.
Is it because you can't vary w as it is a filter and therefore w will stop at a certain value?

ω is the frequency of the input. You may set it to any value.

I cannot explain why a filter that makes a "brick-wall" step in the amplification from say ω = 9.99999 to 10.00001 is unrealizable, since english is not my mothers tongue.

Find the impulse response of whatever brick-wall filter you're considering to see why it's unrealizable.

The Wikipedia page on Sinc filters should be a big help.

I don't think this can be proven via the Laplace transform, at least not the commonly understood single-sided (s-s) laplace transform. That's because the s-s laplace a priori assumes no activity before t = 0 (the double-sided (d-s) transform allows this, as does the Fourier transform.)

With the Fourier transform it can readily be shown that the inverse transform of the brick filter has response for t < 0 but this is impossible for a causal network output where the input is zero for t < 0, hence the filter realization is impossible too. But the problem asked to use the laplace to prove this & I don't think that's doable (unless as I say the d-s laplace is used).

What is a low pass filter and how does it work?

A low pass filter is an electronic circuit that allows low frequency signals to pass through while attenuating high frequency signals. It works by using reactive components, such as capacitors and inductors, to block high frequency signals and allow low frequency signals to pass through.

What is the purpose of a low pass filter?

The purpose of a low pass filter is to remove or reduce unwanted high frequency noise from a signal. This is useful in many applications, such as audio and video processing, where high frequency noise can cause distortion or interference.

What is the Laplace transform and how is it related to low pass filters?

The Laplace transform is a mathematical tool used to convert a function from the time domain to the frequency domain. It is commonly used in engineering and science to analyze signals and systems. Low pass filters are often represented in the frequency domain using the Laplace transform.

How does the Laplace transform affect the frequency response of a low pass filter?

The Laplace transform can be used to calculate the frequency response of a low pass filter, which is a measure of how well the filter attenuates high frequency signals. This information is useful in designing and analyzing low pass filters for specific applications.

What are some common applications of low pass filters and Laplace transform?

Low pass filters and Laplace transform are used in a wide range of applications, including audio and video processing, communication systems, control systems, and signal analysis. They are also commonly used in scientific research, such as in the study of biological signals and electronic circuits.