LU decomposition: With or without pivoting?

In summary, the code for the LU decomposition with partial pivoting is as follows:Algorithm LUP-Decomposition(A)Input matrix AOutput matrices L,U,P: PA=LUn <- A.rows L <- new n x n matrixU <- new n x n matrixP <- new n x n matrix#initialization, as before#for L, U, and P = Ifor i <- 0 to n do for j <- 0 to n do if i > j then
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! 😊

We consider the matrix $$A=\begin{pmatrix}1 & -2 & 5 & 0 & 5\\ 1 & 0 & 2 & 0 & 3\\ 1 & 2 & 5 & 4 & 6 \\ -2 & 2 & -4 & 1 & -6 \\ 3 & 4 & 9 & 5 & 11\end{pmatrix}$$ I want to find the LU decomposition.

How do we know if we have to do the decomposition with pivoting or without? :unsure:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hey mathmari!

Wiki explains that a decomposition without pivoting ($A=LU$) can fail for a non-singular matrix A, and that this is a procedural problem.
It happens when during the procedure we get a sub matrix with a $0$ at the left top.
Decomposition is still possible, but we need to reorder rows or columns to make it happen.

In other words, I believe we simply have to try the LU decomposition procedure without pivoting to find out if it is possible.
And if we find that decomposition without pivoting is not possible, we can reorder the rows and continue the algorithm. 🤔

I found the following code for the LU-decomposition with partial pivoting:

Code:
Algorithm LUP-Decomposition(A)
Input matrix A
Output matrices L,U,P: PA=LU
n <- A.rows 
L <- new n x n matrix
U <- new n x n matrix
P <- new n x n matrix
#initialization, as before
#for L, U, and P = I
for i <- 0 to n do
       for j <- 0 to n do
               if i > j then
                     U[i][j] <- 0
                     P[i][j] <- 0
               else if i == j then
                     L[i][j] <- 1
                     P[i][j] <- 1
               else
                     L[i][j] <- 0
                     P[i][j] <- 0
for k <- 0 to n do # for each equation
       p <- 0
       for i <- k to n dο #find pivot row
                if abs(A[i][k]) > p then
                       p <- abs(A[i][k])
                       pivot_row <- i
       if p == 0 then
               error("singular matrix")
       for j <- 0 to n do #swap rows
               swap L[k][j] with L[pivot_row][j]
               swap U[k][j] with U[pivot_row][j]
               swap P[k][j] with P[pivot_row][j]
               swap A[k][j] with A[pivot_row][j]
       U[k][k] <- A[k][k]
       for i <- k + 1 to n dο
               L[i][k] <- A[i][k] / U[k][k]  # L column
               U[k][i] <- A[k][i]  # U row
       for i <- k + 1 to n do #gauss
               for j <- k + 1 to n do #elimination
                        A[i][j] <- A[i][j] – L[i][k]*U[k][j]
return L, U, P
Are the lines:

swap L[k][j] with L[pivot_row][j]
swap U[k][j] with U[pivot_row][j]

correct? Why do we have to swap also these matrices? After swapping them they are no more a lower and upper matrix respectively, are they? :unsure:I tried to apply that algorithm to a matrix, for example $A=\begin{pmatrix}1 & 2 & 4 \\ 3 & 8 & 14 \\ 2 & 6 & 13\end{pmatrix}$ :

At the initializations we get $L=\begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 & 0 \\ \ell_{21} & 1 & 0 \\ \ell_{31} & \ell_{32} & 1\end{pmatrix}$, $U=\begin{pmatrix}u_{11} & u_{12} & u_{13} \\ 0 & u_{22} & u_{23} \\ 0 & 0 & u_{33}\end{pmatrix}$ and $P=I_{3\times 3}$.

The maximum element by absolute value at the first column is $3$, at the second row.

Now we swap the first the second lines at all the matrices $L,U,P,A$ and we get:
$$L=\begin{pmatrix} \ell_{21} & 1 & 0 \\ 1 & 0 & 0 \\ \ell_{31} & \ell_{32} & 1\end{pmatrix}, \ U=\begin{pmatrix} 0 & u_{22} & u_{23} \\ u_{11} & u_{12} & u_{13} \\ 0 & 0 & u_{33}\end{pmatrix}, \ P=\begin{pmatrix}0 & 1 & 0 \\ 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}, \ A=\begin{pmatrix} 3 & 8 & 14 \\ 1 & 2 & 4 \\ 2 & 6 & 13\end{pmatrix}$$

Then we get $U[1,1]=3$.

We also get $L[2,1]=\frac{a_{21}'}{3}=\frac{1}{3}$, $U[1,2]=a_{12}'=8$ and $L[3,1]=\frac{a_{31}'}{3}=\frac{2}{3}$, $U[1,3]=a_{13}'=14$Is the first loop correct?:unsure:

1. What is LU decomposition and why is it important in scientific computing?

LU decomposition is a method used in linear algebra to factorize a square matrix into a lower triangular matrix (L) and an upper triangular matrix (U). It is important in scientific computing because it allows for efficient solving of systems of linear equations, which are used in many scientific and engineering applications.

2. What is the difference between LU decomposition with and without pivoting?

LU decomposition with pivoting involves rearranging the rows of the original matrix to reduce the chance of numerical error, while LU decomposition without pivoting does not involve this step. Pivoting can improve the accuracy of the decomposition, but it also adds additional computational complexity.

3. How is LU decomposition performed?

LU decomposition is typically performed using Gaussian elimination, which involves transforming the original matrix into an upper triangular matrix through a series of row operations. The lower triangular matrix is then determined by keeping track of the row operations used to transform the original matrix.

4. What are the advantages and disadvantages of LU decomposition?

The advantages of LU decomposition include its efficiency in solving systems of linear equations and its ability to reduce the computational complexity of certain matrix operations. However, it may not be suitable for all matrices and can be sensitive to round-off errors. Additionally, LU decomposition is not unique, meaning there can be multiple L and U matrices that satisfy the decomposition.

5. How is LU decomposition used in other mathematical applications?

LU decomposition is used in a variety of mathematical applications, including solving differential equations, finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and performing matrix inversion. It is also a key component in other algorithms, such as the Cholesky decomposition and the QR decomposition.