What is the form of that matrix?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Form Matrix
In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem where someone does not understand what the matrix on the diagonal has as a non-vanishing elements. They state that the matrix would be if the diagonals were meant. The matrix they get is $1&1&1&\lambda$. They state that the matrix is singular when $\lambda=\frac{1}{2}$. If $\lambdaeq \frac 12$, then the matrix is not singular.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! 😊

Calculate the Cholesky decomposition of the matrix, the only non-vanishing elements are the diagonals $1,2,3, \lambda$ and all under and upper secondary diagonal elements are $1$.

For which $\lambda$ is the matrix singular?

Could you please explain the form of the Matrix?

Does the matrix on the diagonal have $1,2,3, \lambda$ ? So do we have a $4 \times 4$ matrix? Or are these the only non zero diagonal elements? :unsure:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hey mathmari!

I find it confusing as well.
My best guess is that they mean 'diagonal elements' when they write 'diagonals'.
In that case the matrix would be:
\begin{bmatrix}1&1\\ 1&2&1\\&1&3&1\\&&1&\lambda\end{bmatrix}
At least we can find an answer if that is the case. 🤔

Klaas van Aarsen said:
I find it confusing as well.
My best guess is that they mean 'diagonal elements' when they write 'diagonals'.
In that case the matrix would be:
\begin{bmatrix}1&1\\ 1&2&1\\&1&3&1\\&&1&\lambda\end{bmatrix}
At least we can find an answer if that is the case. 🤔

For that matrix we have:
\begin{align*}&\ell_{11}=\sqrt{a_{11}}=\sqrt{1}=1 \\ & \ell_{21}=\frac{1}{\ell_{11}}\left (a_{21}-\sum_{k=1}^{0}\ell_{2k}\ell_{jk}\right )=\frac{1}{1}\left (1-0\right )=1 \\ &\ell_{22}=\sqrt{a_{22}-\sum_{k=1}^{1}\ell_{2k}^2}=\sqrt{2-\ell_{21}^2}=\sqrt{2-1^2}=\sqrt{2-1}=\sqrt{1}=1 \\ & \ell_{31}=\frac{1}{\ell_{11}}\left (a_{31}-\sum_{k=1}^{0}\ell_{3k}\ell_{1k}\right )=\frac{1}{1}\left (0-0\right )=0 \\ & \ell_{32}=\frac{1}{\ell_{22}}\left (a_{32}-\sum_{k=1}^{1}\ell_{3k}\ell_{2k}\right )=\frac{1}{1}\left (1-\ell_{31}\ell_{21}\right )=\frac{1}{1}\left (1-0\cdot 1\right )=1 \\ & \ell_{33}=\sqrt{a_{33}-\sum_{k=1}^{2}\ell_{3k}^2}=\sqrt{3-\left (\ell_{31}^2+\ell_{32}^2\right )}=\sqrt{3-\left (0^2+1^2\right )}=\sqrt{3-1}=\sqrt{2} \\ & \ell_{41}=\frac{1}{\ell_{11}}\left (a_{41}-\sum_{k=1}^{0}\ell_{4k}\ell_{1k}\right )=\frac{1}{1}\left (0-0\right )=0 \\ & \ell_{42}=\frac{1}{\ell_{22}}\left (a_{42}-\sum_{k=1}^{1}\ell_{4k}\ell_{2k}\right )=\frac{1}{1}\left (0-\ell_{41}\ell_{21}\right )=\frac{1}{1}\left (0-0\cdot 1\right )=0 \\ & \ell_{43}=\frac{1}{\ell_{33}}\left (a_{43}-\sum_{k=1}^{2}\ell_{4k}\ell_{3k}\right )=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left (1-\left (\ell_{41}\ell_{31}+\ell_{42}\ell_{32}\right )\right )=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left (1-\left (0\cdot 0+0\cdot 1\right )\right ) =\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \\ & \ell_{44}=\sqrt{a_{44}-\sum_{k=1}^{3}\ell_{4k}^2}=\sqrt{\lambda-\left (\ell_{41}^2+\ell_{42}^2+\ell_{43}^2\right )}=\sqrt{\lambda-\left (0+0+\frac{1}{2}\right )}=\sqrt{\lambda-\frac{1}{2}}\end{align*}

So we get the matrix
\begin{equation*}\tilde{L}=\begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 1 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & \sqrt{2} & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} & \sqrt{\lambda-\frac{1}{2}}\end{pmatrix}\end{equation*}

Is everything correct? :unsure:

It looks correct to me and I verified that $\tilde L\tilde L^*$ is indeed the original matrix. (Nod)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
It looks correct to me and I verified that $\tilde L\tilde L^*$ is indeed the original matrix. (Nod)

Great!

As for the second part of the question. Can we check the condition that the matrix is singular from the matrix $\tilde{L}$ ? Or do we check that directly at the matrix $A$ ? :unsure:

A matrix is singular if its determinant is zero.
And also if it's the product of matrices where one of those matrices is singular.
Can we find the determinant of $\tilde L$? 🤔

Klaas van Aarsen said:
A matrix is singular if its determinant is zero.
And also if it's the product of matrices where one of those matrices is singular.
Can we find the determinant of $\tilde L$? 🤔

$\tilde{L}$ is singular when $\lambda=\frac{1}{2}$. So for this valus $A$ is also singular, right? :unsure:

Yep. (Nod)

And if $\lambda\ne \frac 12$ then $\tilde L$ is not singular, so $\tilde L \tilde L^*=A$ is not singular either. 🧐

Klaas van Aarsen said:
Yep. (Nod)

And if $\lambda\ne \frac 12$ then $\tilde L$ is not singular, so $\tilde L \tilde L^*=A$ is not singular either. 🧐

Great! Thanks a lot! (Happy)

What is the form of that matrix?

The form of a matrix refers to its dimensions, specifically the number of rows and columns it contains. This can be denoted as "m x n", where "m" represents the number of rows and "n" represents the number of columns.

How do I determine the form of a matrix?

To determine the form of a matrix, simply count the number of rows and columns it contains. This can also be represented visually by drawing a grid and counting the number of rows and columns.

Why is the form of a matrix important?

The form of a matrix is important because it determines the operations that can be performed on it. For example, two matrices can only be added or subtracted if they have the same form.

Can a matrix have a different form than another matrix?

Yes, matrices can have different forms. In fact, it is common for matrices to have different forms, as they can represent different sets of data or have different dimensions based on the problem at hand.

What is the difference between a square matrix and a rectangular matrix?

A square matrix has the same number of rows and columns, while a rectangular matrix has a different number of rows and columns. Square matrices are often used in linear algebra and have special properties, while rectangular matrices are more commonly used to represent data sets.