Lumped system analysis in transient heat conduction

In summary: So, in summary, the Heisler chart is more accurate, but if you are in a hurry, and have experience knowing that the dominant resistance to heat transfer is the convective resistance, then you can use method 1.
ESMAT 1995

Homework Statement

so, i had this question where i had a sphere and a cylinder with given dimensions and propreties ( roh, C and k) he also gave me initial temperatures, then both of them dipped in a bath of water of given temperature but unknown h ( convective coefficient) then he gave me the temperature of the sphere after 2 mins and wants the temperature of the cylinder after 5 mins.

The Attempt at a Solution

My first thought was to get h, which is relatively easy but i had a problem choosing between 2 methods, first one was to assume it was a lumped system ( the sphere) and use the exp(Bi*F) rule where the h will be the only unknown, or i can use the Heisler Charts where i have the temperature ratio and the Fourier number and i can use them to get the 1/Bi, in both cases the h will result in a lumped system in the cylinder, but the final temperatures in each case is different ( 5 degrees different) so it's pretty obvious that 1 of them is true, my professor solved using the assumption, but when i asked him he said that would work too but never said which one is more right, so is there any way i can test for the lumped system assumption with an unknown h

a copy of the question is attached ( question number 6)

Attachments

• 14037571_1777108649171999_1326513102_o.jpg
    14037571_1777108649171999_1326513102_o.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 383
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ESMAT 1995 said:

Homework Statement

so, i had this question where i had a sphere and a cylinder with given dimensions and propreties ( roh, C and k) he also gave me initial temperatures, then both of them dipped in a bath of water of given temperature but unknown h ( convective coefficient) then he gave me the temperature of the sphere after 2 mins and wants the temperature of the cylinder after 5 mins.

The Attempt at a Solution

My first thought was to get h, which is relatively easy but i had a problem choosing between 2 methods, first one was to assume it was a lumped system ( the sphere) and use the exp(Bi*F) rule where the h will be the only unknown, or i can use the Heisler Charts where i have the temperature ratio and the Fourier number and i can use them to get the 1/Bi, in both cases the h will result in a lumped system in the cylinder, but the final temperatures in each case is different ( 5 degrees different) so it's pretty obvious that 1 of them is true, my professor solved using the assumption, but when i asked him he said that would work too but never said which one is more right, so is there any way i can test for the lumped system assumption with an unknown h

a copy of the question is attached ( question number 6)[/B]
The Heisler chart is more accurate, so that is the preferred method. It takes into account the internal conductive resistance within the object. But, if you are in a hurry, and have experience knowing that the dominant resistance to heat transfer is the convective resistance, then you can use method 1.

There is another approximation you can make that is quite accurate, and lies somewhere between methods 1 and 2. It is a first order improvement on method 1, and the math is just about as simple. It takes into account the long time conductive resistance inside the sphere or cylinder. It is based on using the long time asymptotic solution to the problem of a constant flux at the surface of the object, for which the internal heat transfer coefficient (as characterized by the asymptotic Nussult Number) approaches a constant value. This resistance is in series with the outside convective resistance, so you can combine them into an overall Biot number. From there on in, the analysis is the same as in method 1.

1. What is lumped system analysis in transient heat conduction?

Lumped system analysis in transient heat conduction is a method used to approximate the temperature distribution in a solid object over time, while assuming that the object is composed of a single homogeneous material with uniform properties. It is based on the assumption that the temperature of the object can be represented by a single value at any given time, instead of considering the temperature variation within the object.

2. Why is lumped system analysis used in heat conduction?

Lumped system analysis is used in heat conduction because it simplifies the mathematical equations involved in calculating temperature distribution over time. It is also less computationally intensive compared to other methods, making it a more practical approach for many engineering and scientific applications.

3. What are the limitations of lumped system analysis in transient heat conduction?

The main limitation of lumped system analysis is that it assumes the object is small enough and has a high enough thermal diffusivity for the temperature to be considered uniform. This means that it may not be accurate for larger objects or those with low thermal diffusivity, where temperature variations within the object cannot be neglected.

4. How is lumped system analysis applied in real-world scenarios?

Lumped system analysis is commonly used in engineering and scientific applications, such as in designing and optimizing heat transfer systems, predicting the thermal response of electronic components, and analyzing the cooling of industrial machinery. It is also used in the analysis of biological systems, such as the temperature regulation in organisms.

5. What are the key assumptions made in lumped system analysis?

The key assumptions in lumped system analysis are: 1) the object is composed of a single homogeneous material with uniform properties, 2) the temperature variations within the object can be neglected, 3) the heat transfer within the object is one-dimensional, and 4) the heat transfer at the surface of the object occurs through convection or radiation. These assumptions allow for the simplification of the heat conduction equation and the use of lumped system analysis.