Lyndon words: Duval's algorithm and its time complexity

In summary, Duval's algorithm computes all the k-ary Lyndon words up to any length, say n. However, the time complexity is actually exponential, which contradicts the claim of the linear complexity of the algorithm.
burritoloco
Hi everyone,

Duval' algorithm computes all the k-ary Lyndon words up to any length, say n. See here for a brief introduction to Lyndon words and note the section Generation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyndon_word

The article claims that
"the sequence of all Lyndon words of length at most n can be generated in time proportional to the length of the sequence" and cites this paper:

http://www-igm.univ-mlv.fr/~berstel/Articles/1994AverageCostDuval.pdf

Now, I have implemented Duval's algorithm for the binary case (see below) in C++ and noted that the computation time increases by a factor of almost 2 whenever the length of the sequence increases by 1. This starts becoming especially noticeable by about length 25. This I think would seem to suggest that the time complexity is actually exponential, which contradicts the claim of the linear complexity of the algorithm. As I'm not an expert in C++, I'm wondering if I'm implementing this incorrectly, or inefficiently. What do you think? Here's the algorithm.

In the binary case, i.e., k=2, Duval's algorithm simplifies to the following.

w[1] ← 0
i ← 1
repeat:
for j = 1 to n–i do
w[i+j] ← w[j]
/* at this point, w[1...i] is a Lyndon word */
i ← n
while i > 0 and w = 1
do i ← i–1
if i > 0 then w ← 1
until i = 0
end

You may find the algorithm in page 2 of this link as well:

http://ehess.modelisationsavoirs.fr/marc/publi/softcomputing/5000387periodicity.pdf

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
Here's my implementation:

#include<iostream>
#include<windows.h>

using namespace std;
int m;void duval(bool w[]);int main() {
cout << "Enter length of Lyndon word: ";
cin >> m;

bool *w = new bool[m+1];
DWORD startime = GetTickCount();
duval(w);
cout << "\nComputing time was " << (GetTickCount() - startime) << " milliseconds\n\n";
cin.get();
cin.get();
delete[] w;
return 0;
}

void duval(bool w[]) {
w[0] = 0;
w[1] = 0;

unsigned _int64 Nprim = 0;
int i=1;

do {

for(int j = 1; j <= m-i; j++) {
w[i+j] = w[j];
}

// At this point, w[1...i] is a Lyndon word

if(i == m) { // a Lyndon word of length m was found
Nprim++;

/*
for(int k=1; k <=m; k++) {
cout << w[k]; // print it
}
cout << endl;
*/
}

i = m;
while(i && w) {
i--;
}
if(i) {
w = 1;
}

} while(i);
cout << "\nNumber of Lyndon words is " << Nprim << endl;
}

1. What is Duval's algorithm?

Duval's algorithm is a string matching algorithm that can efficiently find all occurrences of a given set of words in a given text. It was developed by Jean-Pierre Duval in 1980.

2. How does Duval's algorithm work?

Duval's algorithm works by constructing a tree called a Lyndon tree from the given set of words. This tree is then traversed in a specific manner to find all the occurrences of the words in the text.

3. What is the time complexity of Duval's algorithm?

The time complexity of Duval's algorithm is O(n), where n is the length of the text. This makes it a very efficient algorithm for string matching.

4. What is the significance of Lyndon words in Duval's algorithm?

Lyndon words are special types of words that have the property of being lexicographically smaller than all their rotations. They play a key role in the construction of the Lyndon tree in Duval's algorithm.

5. What are some applications of Duval's algorithm?

Duval's algorithm has various applications in string matching, such as in bioinformatics for DNA sequence analysis and in text editors for finding and replacing words. It is also used in data compression algorithms, such as the Lempel-Ziv-Welch algorithm.