M 7.1 just offshore NE Nth Isl, New Zealand

• Thread starter davenn
  • Start date
In summary, scientists say there is a possibility of a much larger earthquake hitting the East Coast in the coming month.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
People across the North Island of NZ and areas across the nthrn half of the South Island had a shaky awakening this morning at 04:37 NZST, Fri 02 Sept 2016, 16:37 UT, 01 Sept 2016.

The M7.1 struck just off shore of the East Cape of NZ . A tsunami warning was issued but was soon cancelled. This event was preceeded by a M 5.8 on Thursday morning
http://www.sydneystormcity.com/seismograms.htm

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us10006jbi#executive

upload_2016-9-2_7-55-44.png

This event is likely the result of the subduction of the Pacific Plate seafloor under the Australian plate.
The plate boundary is roughly defined by the red line on the above mapcheers
Dave

Last edited:
Likes 1oldman2
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Was woken up by this earthquake, living at the bottom of the North Island.

Concerning, though:
The Ministry of Civil Defence & Emergency Management's request for the broadcasting of a tsunami warning was not sent out until 80 minutes after the quake. By then the main tsunami wave - measuring 30cm - had already hit sections of the east coast.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/838...ct-quickly-enough-to-todays-severe-earthquake

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/838...s-tvs-and-pictures-flying-people-to-the-hills

Likes davenn
That's pretty shocking huh !

At your distance, I would have expected a real good rolling motion

davenn said:
The M7.1 struck just off shore of the East Cape of NZ . A tsunami warning was issued but was soon cancelled. This event was preceeded by a M 5.8 on Thursday morning
I noticed the 5.8 Mag yesterday, and I was wondering if something might follow it.

M5.8 - 188km NNE of Gisborne, New Zealand
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us10006j5q#executive
2016-08-31 22:04:35 UTC
37.208°S, 179.125°E
22.4 km depth

USGS puts the 7.1 Mag at a depth of 19 km.

Tonga, Vanuatu and New Guinea have some 5+ mag earthquakes, and there was a 6.7 mag off New Guinea coast
M6.7 - 39km E of Namatanai, Papua New Guinea
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us10006iy0#executive
2016-08-31 03:11:36 UTC
3.691°S, 152.788°E
499.1 km depth

Astronuc said:
USGS puts the 7.1 Mag at a depth of 19 km.

I see they have changed it ... they did have it a bit deeper initially

Astronuc said:
and there was a 6.7 mag off New Guinea coast
M6.7 - 39km E of Namatanai, Papua New Guinea

recorded that one quite well between a couple of failures of my recording system. The data logger fed into the PC via the RS232 port which failed a couple of days ago. Really weird symptoms ( mouse just moving randomly over the screen opening various windows etc) causing me to initially not suspect the com port.
Unplugging the datalogger stopped the problem. Installed a USB to RS232 adaptor and relabelled RS232 to COM10 and the adaptor to COM 1 and all go again.

The 6.7 showed an almost perfect thrust focal mechanism, with just a hint of oblique slip.

upload_2016-9-2_12-15-53.png
Today's 7.1 NZ event, I initially thought may have been the same style ( as I commented in my first post).
The USGS are saying it's more likely an event within the subducting slab, rather than on the interplate boundary zone

upload_2016-9-2_12-19-57.png

Tectonic Summary
The September 1, 2016 M 7.1 earthquake northeast of Gisborne, New Zealand occurred as the result of shallow oblique-normal faulting near the plate boundary between the Pacific and Australia plates. Preliminary focal mechanism solutions indicate oblique rupture occurred on either a steep dipping, southwest striking normal fault, or on a shallow dipping, north-northeast striking fault. The Pacific plate begins its westward subduction beneath the Australia plate at the Kermadec and Hikurangi trenches, 65 km to the east of this event, with a velocity of about 47 mm/yr. The depth, location and focal mechanism of the earthquake all indicate this is most likely an intraplate event within the subducting Pacific slab, rather than being an interplate thrust earthquake on the overlying subduction zone interface.
Dave

Last edited:
StevieTNZ said:

Yeah, a M 5.7 GNS ( 5.8 USGS) is a respectable quake in its own right
Yup, aftershocks will continue for quite some time, dropping off in both magnitude and numbers.
Pretty common with large and shallow events ... aka the 7.1 west of Christchurch and the closer to the city ones.
5 - 6 years later the event number is still well above background seismicity levelsDave

1. What caused the M 7.1 earthquake off the coast of New Zealand?

The earthquake was caused by movement along a fault line, which is a fracture in the Earth's crust. In this case, it was likely caused by the release of stress between the Pacific and Australian tectonic plates.

2. How strong was the earthquake?

The earthquake had a magnitude of 7.1 on the Richter scale, which measures the energy released by an earthquake. This makes it a major earthquake, capable of causing significant damage.

3. Was there any damage or injuries reported?

There have been reports of minor damage, such as cracked walls and fallen objects, but no major damage or injuries have been reported so far. This is likely due to the epicenter being located offshore and away from highly populated areas.

4. Is this earthquake related to any other recent seismic activity?

It is possible that this earthquake is related to the swarm of smaller earthquakes that have been occurring in the same area over the past few days. However, it is not clear if there is a direct correlation between them.

5. Are there any potential aftershocks to be expected?

Yes, it is very likely that there will be aftershocks following the M 7.1 earthquake. These aftershocks may be smaller in magnitude, but they can still cause damage and should be monitored closely by scientists and residents in the area.