M theory dimension change and large N_c, are they related?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the limit of large N_c and the emergence of an extra dimension in M-theory. The transition to d=10 in string theory also involves a similar large coupling limit. While there may not be a direct relationship between N_c and string coupling, there may be an interplay between the two in certain limits. The conversation also mentions the idea of hiding sources in creativity, which may have been inspired by the concept of quark confinement in the infinite-momentum frame, as discussed in Charles Thorn's publication.
arivero
Gold Member
Reading old text about the limit of large N_c, there are some remarks telling that for finite N we have a colour tube and that it becomes a string in the limit. It sounds as the extra dimension of M-Theory, and I wonder if the math of both calculations are related somehow. Is the transition to d=10 something similar to a large number of colours limit?

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually we reveal our sources (i.e. citation) even though there's the saying:"the secret to creativity is to know how to hide your sources"... ;-)

Likes Auto-Didact
In terms of AdS/CFT, one has N (as in SU(N)) and g (gauge coupling) to work with. In string theory, the eleventh dimension emerges when string coupling is large, and string coupling is proportional to g^2. So at first glance there is no relationship, though in practice there are limits defined by behavior of N and g, so there may be an interplay.

Likes arivero
MathematicalPhysicist said:
Usually we reveal our sources (i.e. citation) even though there's the saying:"the secret to creativity is to know how to hide your sources"... ;-)

I think I got the idea from

Quark confinement in the infinite-momentum frame
Charles Thorn
Phys. Rev. D 19, 639 – Published 15 January 1979