Macroscopic Maxwell's equations and speed of light in media

In summary, the derivation of Macroscopic Maxwell's equations through field averaging and Taylor series reveals that light travels slower in dielectric media due to the cancellation of the original wave and the creation of a new one with a slower speed. This is caused by the induced polarization and radiation of the medium's molecules, which leads to a phase lag in the emitted photons. The macroscopic equations for Maxwell's equations also take into account the effects of polarization and result in a decrease in the speed of light through the material. This is due to the lossy nature of the material and the complex component of its susceptibility. Overall, the speed of light in a medium is determined by the density, peak absorption frequency, and width of the absorption peak.
Reignbeaux
So I followed the derivation of the Macroscopic Maxwell's equations by averaging the fields / equations and doing a taylor series to separate the induced charges and currents from the free ones. But why does light now "suddenly" travel slower in dielectric media? I mean, sure, it comes out from the macroscopic equations, but what is happening here?

If you think about it from a microscopic point of view, the response of the medium, so it's polarisation (or radiation resulting from the polarisation) have to kind of cancel out the original wave traveling at c and create a "new" one going at c/n. Right?

How does this now drop out of the macroscopic equations, without having to worry about what is actually happening? Is it the averaging? Is there a better way to think about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's been a while since I've seen this derivation in an Optics class in college, but the electric field gives the molecules of the material get an induced sinusoidal (in time) polarization that causes them to be radiating dipoles, and this radiated electric field gets superimposed on the incident electric field. Using diffraction theory, (Huygens principle, etc.), the resulting wave front can be computed, and it is found that the additional field from the dipoles causes an overall decrease in the speed of the wave front. I don't recall precisely how this comes about, except that the new speed of light through the material is then given by ## v=c/n ## where ## n=\sqrt{\epsilon} ##. ## \\ ## Editing: Macroscopically, it is simpler than that. Mawell's ## \nabla \times E=-\frac{1}{c} \dot{B} ## along with ## \nabla \times B=\frac{4 \pi J_{total}}{c}+\frac{1}{c} \dot{E} ## with ## J_{total}=J_{free}+J_p +J_m ## , where ## J_p=\dot{P} ##, will give this result macroscopically in the derivation of the wave equation.

Last edited:
Likes blue_leaf77
To add what Charles wrote above, the induced dipole moment and thus the polarization field is emitted with a certain phase lag with respect to the incident field. Microscopically, this delay in the photon emission is connected to the lifetime of various levels in the medium which were excited due to the passage of the incident light. In the atom-to-atom space, the emitted photons still travel with the speed of c, but macroscopically due to the delay in the polarization field, the net propagation through the medium looks slower.

Likes Charles Link
blue_leaf77 said:
To add what Charles wrote above, the induced dipole moment and thus the polarization field is emitted with a certain phase lag with respect to the incident field. Microscopically, this delay in the photon emission is connected to the lifetime of various levels in the medium which were excited due to the passage of the incident light. In the atom-to-atom space, the emitted photons still travel with the speed of c, but macroscopically due to the delay in the polarization field, the net propagation through the medium looks slower.
Thank you @blue_leaf77. I think I have this part correct, that ## P=\chi E ## and basically ## \dot{P}=i \omega P ##. The radiated ## E ## from ## P ## in a lossless material, (where ## \chi ## is completely real), will come from ## J_p=\dot{P} ##, and will automatically lag in phase from the incident ## E ##. If, in fact, ## \chi ## has an imaginary component, where ## \chi(\omega)=\chi'(\omega)+i \chi''(\omega) ##, then it will also be a lossy material. ## \\ ## I think I have this correct, but it has been a while since I studied these derivations in detail.

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
The radiated P P in a lossless material, (where χ \chi is completely real), will automatically lag in phase from the incident E E . If, in fact, χ \chi has an imaginary component, it will also be a lossy material.
Yes that's true. In fact, after checking out my old notes, for an incident field of the form ##E(t) = E_0 \cos \omega t##, the induced polarization looks like
$$
P(t) \propto n E_0 \left( (\omega_0^2 - \omega^2)\cos \omega t + 2\gamma\omega \sin\omega t \right)
$$
where ##n## the density of the medium, ##\omega_0## the peak absorption frequency, and ##\gamma## the width of the absorption peak. In frequency domain, this results from ##\chi## being complex as you said (its imaginary part contains ##\gamma##).

Likes Charles Link
blue_leaf77 said:
Yes that's true. In fact, after checking out my old notes, for an incident field of the form ##E(t) = E_0 \cos \omega t##, the induced polarization looks like
$$
P(t) \propto n E_0 \left( (\omega_0^2 - \omega^2)\cos \omega t + 2\gamma\omega \sin\omega t \right)
$$
where ##n## the density of the medium, ##\omega_0## the peak absorption frequency, and ##\gamma## the width of the absorption peak. In frequency domain, this results from ##\chi## being complex as you said (its imaginary part contains ##\gamma##).
Right at resonance, where ## \omega=\omega_o ##, I believe the amplitude of the ## P ## will be limited by ## \gamma ## , but that is a very fine detail. Also, additional item, I think the ## \omega_o^2-\omega^2 ## belongs in the denominator. (It's a polarization response where a resonance is present). See also http://nptel.ac.in/courses/113104005/59 and page (2), equation (4.80) and equation (4.81).

Last edited:
Yes, indeed the more complete expression involves ##(\omega_0^2 - \omega^2)^2 + 4\gamma^2\omega^2## in the overall denominator but I omit this in my previous post because I only want to focus on the time-dependence of the polarization.

Likes Charles Link

1. What are Macroscopic Maxwell's equations?

Macroscopic Maxwell's equations are a set of four equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields on a macroscopic scale. They were derived by James Clerk Maxwell in the 19th century and are fundamental to the study of electromagnetism.

2. How do Macroscopic Maxwell's equations differ from the original Maxwell's equations?

The original Maxwell's equations were formulated for the behavior of electric and magnetic fields on a microscopic scale, whereas Macroscopic Maxwell's equations take into account the effects of materials and their properties on the behavior of these fields on a larger, or macroscopic, scale.

3. What is the speed of light in media?

The speed of light in media refers to the speed at which light travels through a specific material. This speed can vary depending on the properties of the material, such as its density and refractive index.

4. How is the speed of light in media related to Macroscopic Maxwell's equations?

The speed of light in media is directly related to the properties of the medium, which are taken into account in the Macroscopic Maxwell's equations. These equations can be used to calculate the speed of light in a specific material by incorporating its properties into the equations.

5. Why is understanding the speed of light in media important?

Understanding the speed of light in media is important for various applications, such as in telecommunications and optics. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of light in different materials and how it interacts with them, which has implications in fields such as materials science and engineering.