Macroscopic quantum effects and gravitational wave detector

In summary, the conversation discusses whether quantum mechanics (QM) can be applied to macroscopic objects and the role of environment in determining its applicability. The speaker mentions a conversation with a physics grad student who believes QM is not applicable to macroscopic objects, but notes the possibility of using it in experiments such as a gravitational wave detector. The speaker also references three sources discussing the application of QM to macroscopic objects, including a paper by Caves et al., an article published in 2008, and a work published in 2009. The speaker asks for insights from experts on the progress and potential of using QM in this direction.
Truecrimson
My first thread here. Please bear with my lack of knowledge.

I talked to a physics grad student about whether it's fair to describe QM as a theory applied only to microscopic objects. Although the definition of "fair" is ambiguous, at least he told me that, from his understanding, he wouldn't apply QM to macroscopic objects. (Other than that, it seems like if QM doesn't have a GR-like descriptional power, he'll refute to say that QM applies to big things.) But I think the consensus seems to be that it's the interection with environment that counts.

Then I remember having heard someone talking about macroscopic QM related to a certain gravitational wave detector experiment. Some quick searches give these results, in chronological order.

1) Zurek's Physics Today decoherence article refers to the paper by Caves et al.and say that we need to apply quantum mechanics to the Weber bar that weighs a ton.

2) http://physics.aps.org/articles/v1/3%20
Published July 14, 2008

A part of the abstract
Researchers have long sought to detect quantum effects in macroscopic objects, analogous to the superposition of states in Schrodinger’s cat that is both dead and alive. The development of ultrasensitive measurement techniques used in quantum computing and gravity wave detection may offer a way to experimentally test these ideas...

3) http://iopscience.iop.org/1367-2630/11/7/073032/fulltext#SECTIONREF
Published 16 July 2009

A part of the abstract
This work shows how the exquisite sensitivity necessary to detect gravitational waves can be made available to probe the validity of quantum mechanics on an enormous mass scale.

Did the approach in 1) successful? What're the difference between 2) and 3)?
I'd like to hear from experts here how much has been done and what we can expect, or want to see, in this direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
@Truecrimson did you find any more insight on this topic?

1. What are macroscopic quantum effects?

Macroscopic quantum effects refer to the behavior of large-scale systems or objects that exhibit quantum mechanical behavior, such as superposition and entanglement. This is in contrast to the traditional understanding that quantum mechanics only applies to microscopic particles.

2. How are macroscopic quantum effects related to gravitational wave detectors?

In gravitational wave detectors, macroscopic quantum effects are used to measure incredibly small changes in the fabric of spacetime caused by passing gravitational waves. This is made possible by using quantum mechanical principles to precisely measure the displacement of mirrors caused by the passing waves.

3. What is the significance of detecting gravitational waves using macroscopic quantum effects?

Detecting gravitational waves using macroscopic quantum effects provides a way to directly observe and study the effects of some of the most powerful and distant events in the universe, such as black hole mergers. It also allows for testing and improving our understanding of fundamental physics, such as theories of gravity and the nature of space and time.

4. How do scientists overcome the challenges of detecting macroscopic quantum effects in gravitational wave detectors?

Scientists use advanced technologies and techniques, such as laser interferometry and cryogenics, to reduce noise and increase sensitivity in gravitational wave detectors. They also carefully control and isolate the detector from external disturbances, such as seismic waves, to minimize interference and accurately measure the effects of passing gravitational waves.

5. What are the potential future applications of using macroscopic quantum effects in gravitational wave detectors?

Aside from studying and understanding the universe, the use of macroscopic quantum effects in gravitational wave detectors has potential applications in other fields, such as precision measurement and quantum computing. It also opens up the possibility of developing new technologies and devices that utilize quantum mechanical principles on a larger scale.