Macrostates and microstates

• Thread starter pinkfishegg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Microstates
In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of macrostates and microstates in a system of three non-interacting particles sharing 3 units of energy. It is determined that there are 3 macrostates and the number of microstates varies for each macrostate. The probability of finding a particle with 2 units of energy is 20%, and the probability of finding a particle with 0 units of energy is 40%.
pinkfishegg

Homework Statement

A collection of three non-interacting particles shares 3 units of energy. Each particle is restricted to having an integral number of units of energy.
a)How many macrostates are there?
b)How many microstates are there in each of the macrostates?
c)What is the probability of finding one of the particles with 2 units of energy? With 0 units of energy?[/B]

Homework Equations

Definitions:
macrostate: each possible energy distribution
microstate: the various arrangement of microstates according to a given macrostate

The Attempt at a Solution

The answers are in the back of the book but I'm not really clear on the concepts

a) There are 3 macrostates because there are 3 units of energy?
b) My first though was that you could have either:
3 microstates in each macrostate There are 3 ways to do that
2 microstates in one microstate, 1 in anouther. There are 6 ways to do this
2 microstates per macrostate

c) if what I am saying is right than there's a 1/6 chance that one particle has 2 units of energy, and a 1/3 chance they have zero units of energy

Physics news on Phys.org
pinkfishegg said:
Definitions:
macrostate: each possible energy distribution
That's not a crystal clear definition, but I think perhaps it means the different ways the energy can be distributed if you consider the particles as interchangeable. E.g. 0,1,2 is the same as 1,2,0 etc.
I certainly don't think the number of macrostates is merely the number of energy units in total.
The number of microstates will be different for each macrostate.

haruspex said:
That's not a crystal clear definition, but I think perhaps it means the different ways the energy can be distributed if you consider the particles as interchangeable. E.g. 0,1,2 is the same as 1,2,0 etc.

So the the energy units can be distrubuted

3 macrostates=3 combination of different units
3-0-0 0-3-0 0-0-3 2-1-0 2-0-1 1-2-0 1-0-2 0-1-2 0-2-1 1-1-1
3 microstates 6 microstates 1 microstate

haruspex said:
I certainly don't think the number of macrostates is merely the number of energy units in total.
The number of microstates will be different for each macrostate

pinkfishegg said:
So the the energy units can be distrubuted

3 macrostates=3 combination of different units
3-0-0 0-3-0 0-0-3 2-1-0 2-0-1 1-2-0 1-0-2 0-1-2 0-2-1 1-1-1
3 microstates 6 microstates 1 microstate
That's my guess.

@pinkfishegg,

You mentioned that the answer is in the back of the book. Out of curiosity, what is the given answer?

collinsmark said:
@pinkfishegg,

You mentioned that the answer is in the back of the book. Out of curiosity, what is the given answer?
1)3
2)3,6,1
3) 20%, 40%

1. What is the difference between macrostates and microstates?

Macrostates refer to the overall state of a system, while microstates refer to the individual states of the particles within the system. Macrostates are macroscopic and can be measured, while microstates are microscopic and cannot be directly observed.

2. How do macrostates and microstates relate to entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the number of possible microstates that can lead to a given macrostate. As the number of microstates increases, the entropy of the system also increases. This means that a more disordered system (higher entropy) has a higher number of possible microstates.

3. Can macrostates and microstates change over time?

Yes, macrostates and microstates are constantly changing as particles within a system move and interact with each other. This results in a continuous change in the overall state of the system and the individual states of its particles.

4. How does the size of a system affect its macrostates and microstates?

The size of a system is directly related to the number of microstates it can have. As the size of a system increases, the number of possible microstates also increases. This means that larger systems have a higher entropy and a larger number of possible macrostates.

5. Are macrostates and microstates only relevant in physics?

No, the concept of macrostates and microstates can be applied to various fields such as chemistry, biology, and even social sciences. Any system with a large number of particles or components can be described in terms of macrostates and microstates.