Made a 2D fluid flow simulator

In summary, a 2D fluid flow simulator was created. This simulator is able to simulate the flow of fluids in a two-dimensional space, providing visualizations and data on the behavior of the fluids. It can be used for various applications, such as studying fluid dynamics, designing hydraulic systems, and predicting the behavior of fluids in different scenarios. The simulator uses mathematical equations and algorithms to accurately represent the behavior of fluids and can handle different types of fluids, including liquids and gases. Overall, the 2D fluid flow simulator is a powerful tool for understanding and analyzing fluid flow in a virtual environment.
sa1988
I've made a fluid flow simulator, for anyone interested in fluid dynamics.

The simulator models some basic flows which I learned on a 2nd year fluid dynamics course. It doesn't include viscosity, density or whatever else (hence for example the flow past a sphere in the simulator is a perfect flow without any turbulence at the back).

Anyone interested in it, feel free to have a look (download and run from RAR file) - https://github.com/Stuart88/Flow-sim/blob/master/Flow Sim.rar

Also - why no fluid dynamics section on this forum? Is it more of a niche subject than I realize? If the mods can think of a better place for this thread, please feel free to move it. :oldsmile:

Last edited:
Likes yrjosmiel
Physics news on Phys.org
sa1988 said:
I've made a fluid flow simulator, for anyone interested in fluid dynamics.
The video runs when I click on it, but all I see is the words and the rest is black...
sa1988 said:
Also - why no fluid dynamics section on this forum? Is it more of a niche subject than I realize? If the mods can think of a better place for this thread, please feel free to move it
The Mechanical Engineering forum generally works well for fluid dynamics threads. Thread moved with an extended re-direct left in the General Physics forum :smile:

berkeman said:
The video runs when I click on it, but all I see is the words and the rest is black...

Yeah I noticed it was coming out dark too. Only solution is to change your screen brightness or try it on full screen. Alternatively skip to a later part of the video here there's a lot more going on. The program itself is perfectly vivid, so it must be due to the screen capture software I used. I'll have a look at making another recording with higher quality settings.

Update: New video is up, it seems to be a bit better.

The Mechanical Engineering forum generally works well for fluid dynamics threads. Thread moved with an extended re-direct left in the General Physics forum :smile:

Last edited:

1. What is a 2D fluid flow simulator?

A 2D fluid flow simulator is a computer program that uses mathematical equations and algorithms to simulate the movement and behavior of fluids in a two-dimensional space. It can be used to study and predict the behavior of various types of fluids, such as water, air, and oil, in different scenarios.

2. What is the purpose of creating a 2D fluid flow simulator?

The main purpose of creating a 2D fluid flow simulator is to better understand and analyze the behavior of fluids in real-world situations. This can help in various fields such as engineering, meteorology, and oceanography, where understanding fluid dynamics is crucial for designing and predicting the performance of systems and structures.

3. How does a 2D fluid flow simulator work?

A 2D fluid flow simulator works by using mathematical equations, such as the Navier-Stokes equations, to represent the movement and interactions of fluids. These equations are then solved numerically using algorithms to simulate the fluid flow in a two-dimensional space. The simulator takes into account various factors such as fluid viscosity, density, and boundary conditions to accurately model the behavior of the fluid.

4. What are the limitations of a 2D fluid flow simulator?

One of the main limitations of a 2D fluid flow simulator is that it only models fluid behavior in a two-dimensional space, which may not accurately represent real-world scenarios. Additionally, the accuracy of the simulation depends on the input parameters and the complexity of the equations used. It is also important to note that a 2D fluid flow simulator is a simplified representation of the complex behavior of fluids in the real world.

5. How is a 2D fluid flow simulator different from a 3D fluid flow simulator?

A 2D fluid flow simulator models fluid behavior in a two-dimensional space, while a 3D fluid flow simulator models it in a three-dimensional space. This means that a 3D simulator can provide more accurate and realistic results, but it also requires more computational power and time to run. A 2D simulator is often used as a preliminary step to study and understand the fundamental behavior of fluids before moving on to a more complex 3D simulation.