Mag. 7 Indonesia Earthquake - 5th August 2018

• Thread starter StevieTNZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earthquake
In summary, on August 5th, 2018, a magnitude 7 earthquake struck the island of Lombok in Indonesia, causing widespread damage and claiming the lives of over 500 people. The powerful quake, with its epicenter located in the northern part of the island, also triggered landslides and a tsunami warning. Many buildings, including homes, hotels, and schools, collapsed or were severely damaged, leaving thousands of people homeless. The Indonesian government declared a state of emergency and launched a massive relief and recovery effort to assist those affected by the disaster. The earthquake serves as a reminder of the region's vulnerability to seismic activity and the importance of disaster preparedness.
StevieTNZ
Thirty nine people have died after a powerful earthquake rocked the Indonesian tourist islands of Lombok and neighbouring Bali, triggering a tsunami warning just a week after another quake in the same region killed 16 people.

The magnitude seven earthquake hit about 6.46pm Jakarta time (11.46pm NZ) on Sunday, 27 kilometres north-east of northern Lombok in Indonesia at a 15-kilometre depth.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/asia/...and-indonesian-officials-say-tsunami-possible

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
That's first M7 event since Feb 2018

The USGS have down graded it to 6.9

The count for M7.0 - 7.9 events this year is well down on the long term averages.
By now there should have been around 10 - 12 in that range there have been only 5 and they were all back in Jan and Feb.
18 / year is the long term avg.

M6.0 - 6.9 events are also well down compared to the averages. So far 49 for the year.
The annual avg is around 130

So far there hasn't been the M8+ event for the year eitherfrom my seismograph
http://www.sydneystormcity.com/seismograms.htm

zhi.gif

cheers
Dave

Attachments

• zhi.gif
    zhi.gif
    190.3 KB · Views: 1,053
Last edited:
Likes Astronuc and Wrichik Basu
I just got back last week from Bali. I've been messaging a lot of friends I made over there.

Likes Astronuc and davenn
Greg Bernhardt said:
I just got back last week from Bali. I've been messaging a lot of friends I made over there.
Everyone alright?

The aftershocks continue on Lombok Island.
As I am typing this the latest respectable ( and largest, so far) aftershock is tailing off.

M 5.9, 3km SE of Todo, Indonesia
2018-08-09 05:25:31 (UTC), 10.0 km deep

The red dot on the map

This is about 40km WSW of the M6.9 main shock

I have taken the USGS base map and added the event magnitudes to it...

upload_2018-8-9_16-14-46.png

apologies for the low quality image
the forum does a lot of compression

cheers
Dave

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-9_16-14-46.png
    upload_2018-8-9_16-14-46.png
    74.8 KB · Views: 833
davenn said:
it was only a 5.9 as stated above and in that article :smile:
Stuff must have updated the article to 5.9.

Likes davenn
Seismogram for the M 5.9 aftershock

180809 UT M 5.9 ashk Lombok eastern Indonesia zhi2.gif

Attachments

• 180809 UT M 5.9 ashk Lombok eastern Indonesia zhi2.gif
    180809 UT M 5.9 ashk Lombok eastern Indonesia zhi2.gif
    97.9 KB · Views: 928
And again:
Lombok in Indonesia has been hit by another series of earthquakes - including a major 6.9 magnitude quake - which left one person dead and caused others to run out into the streets in panic.

The latest tremors arrived two weeks after a 7.0-magnitude earthquake killed 460 people on the island and caused damage worth more than 5 trillion rupiah (£268 million).
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-lombok-island-second-magnitude-a8498406.html

Likes davenn

1. What was the magnitude of the 2018 Indonesia earthquake?

The 5th August 2018 Indonesia earthquake had a magnitude of 7 on the Richter scale, making it a major earthquake.

2. Where did the 2018 Indonesia earthquake occur?

The epicenter of the 2018 Indonesia earthquake was located on the island of Lombok, near the village of Loloan.

3. How long did the 2018 Indonesia earthquake last?

The earthquake lasted approximately 20 seconds, but the strong shaking was felt for about 30 seconds.

4. Was there any damage or casualties from the 2018 Indonesia earthquake?

Yes, the earthquake caused significant damage to buildings and infrastructure, resulting in over 500 fatalities and thousands of injuries.

5. Was the 2018 Indonesia earthquake a result of tectonic activity?

Yes, the earthquake was caused by the movement of tectonic plates in the region, as Indonesia is located on the Pacific Ring of Fire, a highly seismically active area.