Maggie & Judy 100m Race: Accelerating Uniformly | Physics Homework Help

• Thread starter HMPARTICLE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, Maggie and Judy both attained maximum speed in a 100-m race, but Maggie took 2.0s and Judy 3s to get there. Maggie covered the distance in a shorter amount of time than Judy, but both athletes attained their maximum speeds at the same point in the race.
HMPARTICLE
1. The problem statement.
Setting new world records in a 100-m race, Maggie and Judy cross the finish line in a dead heat, both taking 10.2s. Accelerating uniformly, Maggie took 2.0s and Judy 3s to attain maximum speed, which they maintained for the rest of the race.

What was the acceleration of each sprinter?

2. Homework Equations

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/70692These guys
3. Attempt.

I have no idea where to start as each equation is useless on its own. Each sprinter has a different maximum velocity. A poke in the right direction is all I need. I've tried stating that the position Maggie obtains at the point she reaches her maximum speed is equal to 0.5 x a x t^2 which doesn't actually get me anywhere as I don't know her max speed or her acceleration.

Physics news on Phys.org
You know what the speed is in terms of the acceleration as a function of time. How do you relate this to the distance covered as a function of time?

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1403123891.964089.jpg
This is as far as I have gone :(. Thanks for the reply. Using these equations I'm sure I should be able to find the acceleration? Am I suppose to use the fact that it took them both 10.2 seconds?

Try writing down separately the distance covered during the accelerating phase and that covered during the constant speed phase (what is the constant speed in terms of the acceleration? how long does the constant speed phase last?) Adding them together you should get 100 m.

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1403125507.556506.jpg
Am I in the ball park? I'm sorry about all the pictures, I'm on a tablet.

You need to organize your thoughts. There are two separate motions here. 1st there is the accelerated motion. write down the equations for position and velocity for that motion assuming they start from rest at initial position x=0. Then there is the 2nd motion which is uniform motion at constant speed. Write down the formula for the position and velocity for that motion keeping in mind that the starting position of the 2nd motion is the final position of the 1st motion.

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1403135766.307775.jpg
Thanks guys! All done! Organisation was the key.

What is the concept of acceleration in the context of this race?

Acceleration is the rate at which the velocity of an object changes over time. In the context of the Maggie & Judy 100m race, it refers to how quickly the runners are increasing their speed as they move towards the finish line.

How does uniform acceleration affect the race?

Uniform acceleration means that the runners are increasing their speed by the same amount over equal time intervals. This means that their speed is changing at a constant rate, which can impact the outcome of the race by determining which runner reaches the finish line first.

What factors can influence the acceleration of the runners?

The acceleration of the runners can be influenced by several factors, including their physical abilities and techniques, the track surface and conditions, and any external forces acting upon them, such as wind or gravity.

Is there a way to calculate the acceleration of the runners in this race?

Yes, the acceleration of the runners can be calculated using the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time. This formula can be applied to each runner at various points in the race to determine their acceleration.

How does acceleration relate to the other concepts of physics in this race?

Acceleration is closely related to other concepts of physics, such as velocity, displacement, and force. It is also related to Newton's laws of motion, which explain the relationship between an object's motion and the forces acting upon it. In the context of this race, acceleration is essential in determining the winner and understanding the physical principles at play.