Magnet dropped down a copper tube experiment

In summary, the experiment involves dropping a magnet down a copper tube and measuring the time it takes for the magnet to travel through the tube. The number of magnets used in the experiment varies, with each set consisting of one magnet and a certain number of weights. The hypothesis is that an increase in the number of magnets will result in an increase in the time of drop. This is due to the production of eddy currents in the copper tube, which create a magnetic field to oppose the motion of the magnet. The direction of this force may vary depending on the orientation of the magnets. The experiment will also explore the effects of using ferromagnetic vs. non-ferromagnetic pipes.
guay
Magnet dropped down a copper tube experiment (magnetic braking?)

Homework Statement

Experiment: what is the effect of the # of magnets on the time of drop through the pipe?

Magnets are placed in a paper cylinder container
- "one magnet" is 1 magnet and 5 weights (mass of 1 magnet and 1 weight is equal)
- "two magnets" is 1 magnet, 1 weight, 1 magnet, 3 weights etc...
See picture
1.png

Homework Equations

Not too sure since we didn't learn the magnetism unit, but I suppose some standard kinematics equations might be useful.

The Attempt at a Solution

Some research that I did...
Faraday's law: a change in magnetic flux induces a current in a loop of conducting material
Lenz's law: the induced current flows so that it opposes the change in magnetic flux by creating its own magnetic field
Oersted's law: when electricity passes through a wire, it produces magnetism
Motor principle: when a current-carrying conductor is located in an external magnetic field perpendicular to the conductor, the conductor experiences a force perpendicular to itself and to the external magnetic field
Eddy current: electric currents induced within conductors by a changing magnetic field in the conductor
Magnetic braking: When a magnet is dropped down a conducting pipe, eddy currents are induced in the pipe, and these retard the descent of the magnet

Another topic relevant IMO is the relationship of ferromagnetic pipes vs non-ferromagnetic pipes.

My explanation:
When a magnet moves down the copper pipe it creates a current in the copper, this current creates a magnetic field that pulls on the magnet as it moves, this is b/c the magnetic field is generated to keep the flux from changing.

Update: due to Oersted's principle, when a charge moves through a wire, it sets up a magnetic field, which is in Concentric loops around the wire, in turn Faraday's law states that an emf is induced around the current carrying loop, that is like a conductor. If there is a change in flux, Lenz's Law tells us that the induced current produces a magnetic field which opposes the change in flux. The reason why the magnet goes down slowly is a results of the eddy currents that are produced due to Lenz's law and this process is known as magnetic braking.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My hypothesis is that an increase in # of magnets will cause an increase in time of drop. However, my explanation for this is a bit hazy as I am having a bit of trouble connecting all the laws. Please help me explain this phenomenon and check if my understanding is correct thus far. Also, will something cool happen at "four magnets" (see pic)? Since 2 magnets will be touching. Will that cause a change in magnetism? Will there be a steep rise on the # vs time graph?

Anyway, I will be doing the actual experiment tomorrow and will update with results and new findings. Thank you for your help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
guay said:
My explanation:
When a magnet moves down the copper pipe it creates a current in the copper, this current creates a magnetic field that pulls on the magnet as it moves, this is b/c the magnetic field is generated to keep the flux from changing.
That is a good approach!

Now you need some estimate how often / how significant the magnetic field is changing if your weights+magnets travel down the tube. For multiple magnets, it will depend on the magnet orientation, too.

Any current produced in the copper (called Eddy current) will produce a magnetic field to oppose the magnet motion...will it pull or push?

technician said:
Any current produced in the copper (called Eddy current) will produce a magnetic field to oppose the magnet motion...will it pull or push?

I think both: push up at the beginning, pull down at the end. Since Faraday says flux (from magnet?) induces a current, and Lenz says that this current opposes the change in flux, therefore it should be trying to get rid of the magnet. Right?

No, it will try to resist the change, which comes from the motion. It will always give a force against the motion.

1. How does a magnet falling through a copper tube demonstrate the principle of electromagnetic induction?

When a magnet is dropped down a copper tube, it creates a changing magnetic field. This changing magnetic field induces an electric current in the copper tube, which in turn creates its own magnetic field. According to Faraday's Law, this changing magnetic field induces an opposing current in the copper tube, resulting in the magnet slowing down and eventually stopping. This demonstrates the principle of electromagnetic induction, where a changing magnetic field can induce an electric current.

2. Why does the magnet slow down as it falls through the copper tube?

The magnet slows down as it falls through the copper tube due to the opposing current induced in the tube. This opposing current creates its own magnetic field, which interacts with the magnet's magnetic field. According to Lenz's Law, the direction of this induced magnetic field will be in the opposite direction of the original magnetic field, resulting in a force that slows down the magnet's motion.

3. Does the experiment work with any type of metal tube?

No, the experiment will only work with a non-magnetic metal tube, such as copper or aluminum. If a magnetic metal tube, such as iron or steel, is used, the magnet will not experience any resistance and will fall through at a constant speed.

4. Can the experiment be reversed, with a copper tube falling around a stationary magnet?

Yes, the experiment can be reversed with a copper tube falling around a stationary magnet. In this case, the magnet's magnetic field will induce an electric current in the copper tube, creating a magnetic field that will interact with the magnet's field. This will result in the magnet being repelled and the tube falling at a slower rate.

5. What other factors can affect the speed of the magnet falling through the copper tube?

The speed of the magnet falling through the copper tube can also be affected by the strength of the magnet, the length and diameter of the tube, and the material of the tube. A stronger magnet will create a stronger magnetic field, resulting in a greater resistance force from the induced current. A longer or narrower tube will also increase the resistance force. Additionally, a thicker or more conductive metal tube will result in a stronger induced current and a greater resistance force.