Magnet Force Q: Repel/Attract at 3cm Distance

• Thread starter Green Zach
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnet
In summary: This is because the field gradient of Q is constant at that distance, so the forces will be equal. In summary, the movement of the magnets will be smooth as long as both magnets are identical and placed in identical positions, with the second magnet having the exact opposite orientation to the first. The force experienced by both magnets will be equal due to the constant field gradient at the distance of 3cm from substance Q.
Green Zach
Ok so, i think this is kinda a basic question but here goes. I am building a machine that uses magnets and desperately need to eliminate a zero point so the movement will be smooth so what i need to know is if you have a magnet being attracted to substance Q and the magnet has a 3cm distance from substance Q and is being attracted to substance Q at a force of X then will an identical magnet repelling substance Q at a distance of 3cm experience a force of -X? or is their a distance ratio? Of course substance Q is magnetic with + and - poles. any info or help would be greatly appreciated. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you draw a picture? That description is really confusing.

Is this it? M -- Q -- m Where M is the first "attractive" magnet and m is the 2nd, "repelling" one.

My initial guess would be that you are right.

Green Zach said:
Ok so, i think this is kinda a basic question but here goes. I am building a machine that uses magnets and desperately need to eliminate a zero point so the movement will be smooth so what i need to know is if you have a magnet being attracted to substance Q and the magnet has a 3cm distance from substance Q and is being attracted to substance Q at a force of X then will an identical magnet repelling substance Q at a distance of 3cm experience a force of -X? or is their a distance ratio? Of course substance Q is magnetic with + and - poles. any info or help would be greatly appreciated. :smile:
The force comes from the field gradient due to Q at the position of the magnet as well as the pole strength, length and orientation of the magnet. If the field due to Q is isotropic, then the gradient will be the same at all positions 3cm away from Q. The important thing then is to get the second magnet to have the exact same dimensions and the exact opposite orientation to the first. I assume that Q is fixed rigidly and thus, can not move.

Gokul43201 said:
The force comes from the field gradient due to Q at the position of the magnet as well as the pole strength, length and orientation of the magnet. If the field due to Q is isotropic, then the gradient will be the same at all positions 3cm away from Q. The important thing then is to get the second magnet to have the exact same dimensions and the exact opposite orientation to the first. I assume that Q is fixed rigidly and thus, can not move.

so as long as both magnets A and B are identical than both + and - forces should be identical?

Yes, so long as A and B are placed in virtually identical positions.

Related to Magnet Force Q: Repel/Attract at 3cm Distance

1. What is magnet force?

Magnet force is a physical phenomenon that describes the attractive or repulsive force between two magnets or a magnet and a magnetic material.

2. How does magnet force change with distance?

The strength of magnet force decreases as the distance between two magnets increases. This decrease follows an inverse square law, meaning that the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the magnets.

3. What is the difference between attraction and repulsion in magnet force?

In attraction, two magnets with opposite poles will pull towards each other, while in repulsion, two magnets with the same pole will push away from each other. This is due to the alignment of the magnetic fields in the magnets.

4. How does the strength of magnet force vary with the type of magnet used?

The strength of magnet force is dependent on the type of magnet used. Permanent magnets, such as those made of iron, nickel, and cobalt, have stronger magnetic fields compared to temporary magnets, such as electromagnets.

5. What is the practical application of magnet force?

Magnet force has various practical applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and magnetic levitation trains. It is also used in everyday objects like speakers, credit cards, and refrigerator magnets.