Magnet moving over surface creating levitation

In summary: Livermore, CA 94550Electromagnetic fields and levitationThere has been a lot of discussion about the Inductrack system here at PF. I designed it over 15 years ago and it remains in the testing phase. Inductrack III will be a much more efficient system that will be able to move more objects.
vidur27
Hi,

I've been doing reading on Halbach Arrays moving over surfaces and generating repulsive forces. From my understanding, the moving magnet induces a circular electric current in the metal track, which gives rise to a magnetic field.

However, I'm having trouble understanding why this field causes the array to levitate. Why doesn't the array become attracted to the sheet?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi there
welcome to PF :smile:

vidur27 said:
Hi,

I've been doing reading on Halbach Arrays moving over surfaces and generating repulsive forces. From my understanding, the moving magnet induces a circular electric current in the metal track, which gives rise to a magnetic field.

However, I'm having trouble understanding why this field causes the array to levitate. Why doesn't the array become attracted to the sheet?

Im not sure what you are describing is really a Halbach Array. Have you read the wiki article ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halbach_array

A Halbach array is a special arrangement of permanent magnets that augments the magnetic field on one side of the array while cancelling the field to near zero on the other side.[1] This is achieved by having a spatially rotating pattern of magnetisation.

The rotating pattern of permanent magnets (on the front face; on the left, up, right, down) can be continued indefinitely and have the same effect. The effect of this arrangement is roughly similar to many horseshoe magnets placed adjacent to each other, with similar poles touching.
Dave

Sorry, I was on my phone, I should be a little more detailed.

There exists a system called the Inductrack where they essentially move a halbach array at a velocity over a track. This induces circular eddy currents in the track, which in turn produce an upwards magnetic field. In theory, the upwards magnetic field causes the halbach array to levitate over the track. Because the strength of the field is proportional to the strength of the current which is proportional to the rate of change of magnetic flux from the array over time, the faster the array moves over the track, the greater the levitative force will be.

My question is a fundamental one. So we induce eddy currents in the track, which gives rise to eddy currents, which gives rise to a magnetic force in the "upwards" direction. Why is this force a cause for levitation (repulsion) and not attraction? Is it a consequence of Lenz's Law? I'm having trouble seeing it!

vidur27 said:
Sorry, I was on my phone, I should be a little more detailed.

There exists a system called the Inductrack where they essentially move a halbach array at a velocity over a track. This induces circular eddy currents in the track, which in turn produce an upwards magnetic field. In theory, the upwards magnetic field causes the halbach array to levitate over the track. Because the strength of the field is proportional to the strength of the current which is proportional to the rate of change of magnetic flux from the array over time, the faster the array moves over the track, the greater the levitative force will be.

My question is a fundamental one. So we induce eddy currents in the track, which gives rise to eddy currents, which gives rise to a magnetic force in the "upwards" direction. Why is this force a cause for levitation (repulsion) and not attraction? Is it a consequence of Lenz's Law? I'm having trouble seeing it!

Interesting. I have no idea how it works.
It appears to have been invented at the Lawrence Livermore National Lab.
Here's an article dated 1998.
There have been a few discussions about it here at PF. I don't see anywhere that anyone thoroughly explained the effect.

It appears to still be in the testing phase.

The original patent:
Magnetic levitation system for moving objects [google patents]
US 5722326 A
publication date March 3, 1998​

Here's a paper by the inventor, Richard Post:
The Inductrack Approach to Magnetic Levitation
POST, Richard F., RYUTOV, Dmitri D.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory​

1. How does a magnet moving over a surface create levitation?

When a magnet is moved over a conductive surface, it creates an electromagnetic field. This field induces an opposing current in the surface, creating a repulsive force that counteracts the force of gravity and causes the object to levitate.

2. What materials are necessary for creating levitation with a moving magnet?

To create levitation with a moving magnet, you will need a conductive surface, a magnet with a strong magnetic field, and a power source to move the magnet over the surface.

3. How does the speed of the moving magnet affect the levitation?

The speed of the moving magnet does not significantly affect the levitation itself. As long as the magnet is moving at a constant speed, the induced current in the surface will remain constant, and the levitation will be maintained.

4. Can levitation with a moving magnet be used for transportation?

Yes, levitation with a moving magnet can be used for transportation. This technology is commonly used in high-speed trains, known as maglev trains, where the train is levitated and propelled forward by a series of magnets along the track.

5. Are there any potential dangers or limitations to using levitation with a moving magnet?

One potential danger is that if the power source for the moving magnet is interrupted, the levitation will cease and the object may fall. Additionally, this technology is currently limited to small objects and short distances, as larger objects require more power and more complex systems for levitation.